We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Yellow Questions  (Read 827 times)

Tim Harberd

Yellow Questions
« on: November 22, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »
Hi Folks,
   Doing a bit of back reading I was intrigued by Anne’s comment that the leaves of her Wendy's Gold X Lutescens seedlings are ''…..a 'swarm'. everything from pure applanate to fairly plicate….'' (in the thread Galanthus 2011).

Doesn’t that prove that one of the parents is, itself, a hybrid?

In a first generation nivalisXplicatus cross, which is the dominant phenotype??

Tim DH

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Yellow Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 04:59:36 PM »
   Doesn’t that prove that one of the parents is, itself, a hybrid?

I have visited the locale where Wendy's Gold arose.  There are many many plicatus snowdrops of all shapes, sizes and markings spread over quite a small area.  I think Wendy's Gold probably originated there, although none remain now, because there isn't really anywhere else.  About 400m away is a large area of G. nivalis.  And there are some bee hives roughly half way between the two.  Thus there is certainly potential for hybridization although I'm not sure about the likelihood of it happening.     
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal