We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Plant seen recently growing in UK  (Read 1771 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Plant seen recently growing in UK
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 11:14:46 AM »
Having looked closely into the possible travel arrangements to get me to the Shaftesbury Snowdrop Day, I am acutely aware of the many failures of the public transport system of the country.  Great Britain seems to pose more difficulties to cross than the average trek by three-legged camel through the Gobi desert....... ::)     :'(

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 01:29:22 PM »
Yes, Cambridge to Shaftesbury seemed a long way when I went last February and I have one huge head start over you.

In your case, make your way to Edinburgh, fast train to Kings Cross, underground to Waterloo, train to Gillingham (Dorset) then taxi for the four miles to Shaftesbury.  Shortest journey time Edinburgh to Gillingham 7 hours 17 minutes (add 20 minutes starting from Glasgow).  Cambridge to Gillingham, journey time 4 hours.

Edit:  Gillingham/Shaftesbury bus timetable here: http://assets.goaheadbus.com/media/cms_page_media/668/59%20tt.pdf .     
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:31:39 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 04:41:36 PM »
Maggi - Theoretically I could get there before you providing we manage to find a train coach that has interior door handles.  :-X

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 07:07:30 PM »
Be grateful Maggi and Alan that you don't have a bit of water between the two parts. Our Cook Straight (the ditch, as distinct from the other ditch between Aust and NZ, the Tasman Sea), adds time and cost to the travel between our two main islands you wouldn't believe, especially when one of the ferries breaks down as has happened a lot lately.

And isn't it odd how a simple enquiry about a small plant becomes a treatise on the vagaries of domestic travel? ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 09:31:26 PM »
Be grateful Maggi and Alan that you don't have a bit of water between the two parts. Our Cook Straight (the ditch, as distinct from the other ditch between Aust and NZ, the Tasman Sea), adds time and cost to the travel between our two main islands you wouldn't believe, especially when one of the ferries breaks down as has happened a lot lately.

And isn't it odd how a simple enquiry about a small plant becomes a treatise on the vagaries of domestic travel? ???

Tell us about it, Lesley! In addition to break downs we have to contend with vessels not designed for our seas, bad winter weather and in the summer hordes of camper vans making it difficult for locals to get on/off island at certain times. Still, it's a lovely place to be when the grey clouds roll back  ;D
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »
Yes Matt, I can imagine that you'd have some problems there. Do you have the other that we have, seemingly more and more each month or year? Like the Brits and Aussies, we drive on the left hand side of our roads and we have many accidents caused by foreign tourists who can't seem to cope with this, especially in moments of stress when instinctively they head for the right hand and are involved in appalling, often fatal crashes. Three people from Hong Kong were killed in Otago just a few days ago. The Asian tourists are particularly prone to be involved this way. Many don't speak English so the rental firms' lectures when they hire are not absorbed. I can't see what the solution is, as we have no intention, so far, to change to right hand driving (wouldn't THAT be chaotic?) and a test before they drive would be impracticable, costly for everyone and time consuming. We were told recently by some Chinese friends that the road code printed in Asian languages is usually thrown away as soon as or even before they set out on their touring!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 08:34:48 PM »

I happens where my Dad lives on Kangaroo Island too Lesley. People have been killed and recently Dad had to get off the road to avoid a van coming down the road straight towards him on his side. Thank goodness there was time and space to get off the road... It's especially bad in deserted areas with no other traffic. I think maybe big bold stickers on the windshield or on the dash might help... or how about a high tech solution? A gadget that detects the road position and issues a warning if one is travelling in a lane in the wrong direction. Sounds a bit sci-fi I know but this is actually pretty easy with existing technology (think Wii).
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 09:46:32 PM »
There are different sides to a road? Left and right?? We're mostly on single track roads with passing places here, which present their own problems! Thankfully, accidents seem to be few and far between here.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 07:35:15 AM »
... we have no intention, so far, to change to right hand driving (wouldn't THAT be chaotic?) ...
Sweden managed to do this successfully http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagen_H
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal