We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gibberellic acid (GA-3)  (Read 3953 times)

Martijn

• Kwekerij ´De Reuvenkamp´
Gibberellic acid (GA-3)
« on: January 23, 2008, 09:24:04 PM »
Dear friends,

I just recieved some GA-3 to try it on the ´hard to germinate´ seeds like Lewisia kellogii. The instructions are clear and with a single packet I can make a big bottle of solution.

My question is: what is the tenability of the solution? Can I use the same solution after a few weeks or months? ??? Has anybody of you tried this?

Regards, Martijn

Martijn Jansen, Tonden, The Netherlands
www.dereuvenkamp.nl

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Gibberellic acid (GA-3)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:46:20 PM »
Dear friends,

I just recieved some GA-3 to try it on the ´hard to germinate´ seeds like Lewisia kellogii. The instructions are clear and with a single packet I can make a big bottle of solution.

My question is: what is the tenability of the solution? Can I use the same solution after a few weeks or months? ??? Has anybody of you tried this?

Regards, Martijn

Hi Martijn
I have experimented with GA3 several times and recently been trying some rosulate violas (reputed to be essential gibberellic germinators - certainly I have had success in the past with germinating these in this way).  As I had some solution made up, I thought I would do some experiments on seeds I have struggled to get good germination with in the past (colchicums, onco iris).
I bought my GA3 a few years ago from Hudsons of California.  They give good advice, including that the solution was still viable after 4 years at room temperature.  I've used the solution method, not the Deno-one-grain-on-a-toothpick method which seemed a bit hit and miss.  That said, I am fascinated by Deno's experiments in general, and often try his methods.

Take a look at Hudson's site for good information.  I'd be interested to here your results, and I will post mine if I get any!!
 http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/GibberellicAcid.htm

Diane
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:48:37 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:56:57 PM »
Deno-one-grain-on-a-toothpick?? ???
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:04:32 PM »
Deno-one-grain-on-a-toothpick?? ???
Sorry, that does sound bizarre, it's from the Hudson website link.

If you buy GA3 from Hudsons, it comes in a packet that will give 1000ppm (the stock solution) that can then be diluted down to 500ppm.  I found that easiest, although it takes a day to dissolve.   

Norman Deno has a rule of thumb to get this concentration by using dry powder:
"This amount of GA-3 is about the amount that can be balanced on the 1/2mm tip of a toothpick using a type of toothpick that is pointed at both ends " this is diluted with 6 drops of water.

Diane 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 10:49:09 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Martijn

• Kwekerij ´De Reuvenkamp´
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 12:31:01 PM »
Hi everybody,

Thank you all for the advice. And what a great story about the Hegemone!

I wish I hadn´t sown all the seeds in December. Luckily I am waiting for some seeds from Alpains to try it on!
I will post the results in spring!

Regards, Martijn
Martijn Jansen, Tonden, The Netherlands
www.dereuvenkamp.nl

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal