We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Frits wanted  (Read 1975 times)

Tony

• YNWA
Frits wanted
« on: November 05, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »
For a couple of years now I have been putting plants on the show bench and I am looking for a new challenge. I'm thinking of growing Frits but alas all the bulb suppliers have closed for business until next year.

Has anyone have any Frits available,of flowering size, that I could start with or know of a Supplier I could approach?

I would be willing to purchase of course and collect within a reasonable travelling distance from Darlington.

Thanks for your time
Tony

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Frits wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 01:46:16 PM »
Well, there is no doubt you will enjoy growing frits, tony- they are great plants and can  do well on the show benches.  It's a tough time of year to be asking though - most bulbs will be planted now and starting into root, so tricky for anyone to supply at this time or year.  That being said, we should  never underestimate the possibilities of the Forum and I hope there will be good suggestions for you. 
Rannveig Wallis is a good source - but I think she' ll have most bulbs planted by now too.  You'll find a copy of Rannveig's "Buried Treasure s" list in the forum.... or   
 you may need to wait until next year to get plants in growth  from her at a show or from Potterton's  for instance.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:48:08 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »
You could also look on the Frit group website ,there is a list of supliers there,as Maggie has said, most will be putting down roots at this time of year unless you can purchase some ready potted

http://www.fritillaria.org.uk/
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

pontus

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 08:11:30 AM »
Hello Tony,

I have fritillaria camschastensis available, both the yellow form and the purple black form. I find that these transplant safely up untill february, as they dont have a huge root system untill spring...they are all in pots, so can easilly be depotted and posted in slightly moist potting mix..

I might also have a very small quantity of special forms of imperialis in about a weeks time, and potentially 1 or 2 more sp that will be safe to post still...

Pontus

Tony

• YNWA
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 05:07:49 PM »
Hi Pontus,

Please accept my apologies for not answering sooner, but I have been away.
I would certainly be interested in what you might have to offer, and I look forward to receiving further details.

Thank you for your time

Tony

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal