We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2014 snowdrops  (Read 17798 times)

ruben

• alpines and bulbs
    • http://www.passionforbulbs.be/
Re: November 2014 snowdrops
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 07:20:13 PM »
Good to see you here to Sven! Looking forward to see pictures of you're nice collection snowdrops!

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 07:31:11 PM »
Luckely, I recentely managed to obtain some more gardening space.

Welcome Sven!  You of course realize this new space means you have officially entered the most serious phase of this snowdrop disease..... ;)

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

snowdropcollector

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 08:07:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum Sven, it is good to have you on the forum. Looking forward to your postings  ;)
Richard, Netherlands....building up my collection again

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 09:47:42 PM »
Hi I wonder if I could have the opinion of the other galanthophiles on here please, I was on ebay today & I was browsing through the snowdrops section. There were two snowdrops on the buy it now option Galanthus E.A.Bowles & Galanthus nivalis Berthille  one bulb for each. The sums wanted are in three figures, what I would like to know is are these prices the norm for these two snowdrops? The most I have paid for snowdrops is £20.00 including P&P from the continent which I though was very good, if I forked out as much as the two sellers are wanting I would be in big trouble. I haven't the figures in this post as I didn't know if it was ok or not.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 10:31:35 PM »
It would be surprising to see many of  'Berthille' on ebay - she has scarcely been released as yet- see this thread http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=11041.msg287924#msg287924

You can also see more about 'Berthille' here: http://le-jardin-de-berthille.over-blog.com/article-une-fabuleuse-aventure-1-122489581.html where we see that only a very few have been sold .
When buying on ebay it is always a good idea to check if the seller is using  a photo of their own plant or one taken from elsewhere - too many here have found that a person selling without h their own photos is not selling the true plant.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:33:43 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 10:38:27 PM »
I paid £60.00 for E A Bowles from very reputable reputable sellers.

I think it will be on sale again at the Myddleton House Snowdrop meet in January.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 10:42:35 PM »
Excellent point, Art - and you could see what you were getting, too!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 06:13:34 AM »
This year all my cultivars with green tips show an intensive green color.
And some "normal" ones also have a hint of green. Here starts G cilicicus.
Why it is so?
Any idea?
Who made also this experience?
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 06:43:32 AM »
It is 'normal' for the rarest and most desirable snowdrops to fetch prices in excess of £100 (although this must be a manifestation of a collective madness amongst some galanthophiles). 

I paid £60.00 for E A Bowles from very reputable reputable sellers.

That was definitely the going rate last year (down from £120 a year or two ago).  If you cannot get to a snowdrop event, the "consortium" of which I am a part plan to auction one or two of our surplus stock of 'E.A. Bowles' on eBay in 2015 (if and) when they are in flower and can be photographed. 

If you buy a plant that is only distinguishable by its flower and you buy it out-of-flower then you need to be completely confident of the reputation of the seller.  eBay does not understand the concept of a 'fake' that can only be identified as such long after the time of purchase and is not very helpful under those circumstances.       
Almost in Scotland.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 08:01:53 AM »
Galanthus cilicicus in flower and just like Hagen's it has green tips this year, last year there was a small green mark but this year they are more pronounced.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 08:44:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum Sven, a shame that your camera does not do justice to 'Pink Panther' but Joe does say it is very difficult to photograph, perhaps it needs a bit of afternoon sun on it ;)

John, there are not many 'Berthille' in the country yet, and the only way this would be true (and it is quite possible) is if it came as a good flowering bulb with side bulbs on it.  That way the seller could be using one of the bulbs this year to recoup some of the expense.  Mine came with a small secondary bulb but I have not looked to see if it is still happy - fingers crossed it is :)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 09:56:36 AM »
Welcome to the forum Sven..................a little late I think apologies
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 10:21:15 AM »
Welcome to the forum Sven, a shame that your camera does not do justice to 'Pink Panther' but Joe does say it is very difficult to photograph, perhaps it needs a bit of afternoon sun on it ;)

I think seeing colours that cannot be photographed is probably a manifestation of some sort of mass hysteria - 'galanthomania' if you will.  But let me offer Sven a belated welcome to the forum. 

John, there are not many 'Berthille' in the country yet, and the only way this would be true (and it is quite possible) is if it came as a good flowering bulb with side bulbs on it.  That way the seller could be using one of the bulbs this year to recoup some of the expense. 

However the seller on eBay did not use their own photograph but one that appears on the jardin-de-berthille web site and that always sets alarm bells ringing in my ears.
Almost in Scotland.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2014, 11:59:21 AM »
Welcome Sven. I enjoyed your photos and will look forward to seeing more along the way.
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 12:12:12 PM »
When buying on ebay it is always a good idea to check if the seller is using  a photo of their own plant or one taken from elsewhere

Last week a seller was using my photos to sell about half of what he had for sale. If a seller can sell a snowdrop s/he must have photos no matter how bad
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal