We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scape Measurement Timing  (Read 947 times)

Rick Goodenough

Scape Measurement Timing
« on: November 24, 2014, 10:01:48 PM »
Hello Friends,

I have an autumn blooming elwesii from a batch of bulbs that came from a garden center in late summer. I was not really expecting to get any autumn bloomers, but got a couple and I want to make a few records of measurements, time of bloom, etc.  I have not come across a standard for the timing of measuring scapes. One of those in bloom started out to be about 17cm to the top of the sheath when the bloom first opened up. It has continued to shoot upwards and the bloom is still intact and looking pretty. At what point in the growth/bloom cycle is the scape height measured for some degree of consistency?

Just for fun, here is a photo of one that just opened today. Thanks. Rick
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
Re: Scape Measurement Timing
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 06:36:34 AM »
Matt might be able to answer that question if he see this
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Matt Bishop

• Matt Bishop - Snowdrops
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 10:47:52 AM »
Hi Rick,

I generally do description sheets and measurements on plants which are in full flower which I realise is slightly open to interpretation but by full flower I mean the segments have expanded to or at least are approaching their full dimensions.

For purposes of comparison and for doing descriptions I try and ensure that the specimen is fully established and of optimum development in size for its clone. But just to be confusing, their can be an enormous disparity between what a given cultivars can produce in measurement and markings from the minimum sized bulb capable of producing a flower, say a year three twin scale, and what results from a large full-sized healthy specimen.

This, in turn, leads to the frequently overlooked concept of clonal variation and the range of appearance in many characters such as markings and size, and even segment shape, that a single clone can produce which, in isolation, might give the false impression of the existence of more than a single clone being grown under the same name. I hope that makes sense!

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 10:58:42 AM »
Hello Matt,

Thank you for your thorough and thoughtful treatment of the question. These are helpful parameters as we are all dealing with a bit of a moving target. Rick
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

Matt Bishop

• Matt Bishop - Snowdrops
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 04:45:11 PM »
Absolutley! And in clonal variation, you've hit upon one of my favourite hobby-horses, and is by no means limited to the likes of the Greatorex Doubles but applies to just about every category of snowdrop flowers.....

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal