We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium Monograph  (Read 7776 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Erythronium Monograph
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 05:56:01 PM »
until today I had not read your excellent series of Erythronium in the wild.  It is wonderfully presented and the photos are inspiring.
I told you so!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ed Alverson

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 12:41:52 AM »
Thanks, Charlotte, for your kind words.

Before I could contribute to any publication I would need to do more travelling during Erythronium flowering season - first to Eastern North America, then Europe and Asia, in order to see all of the species in the wild.  It's a tough job, but someone has to do it!

But seriously, I am a bit wary of both making promises that might be hard to keep, and to take something on that someone else is already planning to do.  The great thing about the SRGC web site is that it has allowed me, with a relatively modest amount of effort, to put information out there in a way that is accessible to all, without all of the to-do that would be associated with creating a "real" publication.

Ed
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 11:20:56 PM »
Third part of Ian's Erythronium Bulb Logs, ERYTHRONIUMS OF WESTERN NORTH AMERICA PART 2 (??!!), now online: http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2008/300108/log.html

ERYTHRONIUMS Part 1 : http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2008/160108/log.html
ERYTHRONIUMS OF WESTERN NORTH AMERICA : http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2008/230108/log.html

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »
This topic has been inactive for some time, but I just stumbled across this on a well-known booksellers website:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genus-Erythronium-Botanical-Magazine-Monograph/dp/1842464922/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391776461&sr=1-1&keywords=erythronium

I'm sure it will be available from other outlets too, although it says publication will be in July here, but I've seen November mentioned elsewhere.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 12:52:46 PM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genus-Erythronium-Botanical-Magazine-Monograph/dp/1842464922/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391776461&sr=1-1&keywords=erythronium

I'm sure it will be available from other outlets too, although it says publication will be in July here, but I've seen November mentioned elsewhere.

at last!

charlotte

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »
Now I know what to do with the research material I collected and did not know how to approach a very complex genus.   :-[

Charlotte
Renaix Belgium
Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 05:35:07 PM »
Only just realised that the earlier posts date back a few years. This should be an exciting publication, perhaps on a par with Stearn's Epimedium, which is a wonderful book. Time to put aside some pennies over the next months! The picture of Ian Christie's 'Ardovie Bliss' in the latest 'Rock Garden' is exquisite, and I am reminded again of Ray Drew's beautiful display of Erythronium at the local Essex AGS Group Show last spring.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 06:07:07 PM »
Now I know what to do with the research material I collected and did not know how to approach a very complex genus.   :-[

Charlotte
Renaix Belgium

Dear Charlotte - we have missed you very much!
Why do you not assemble  your researches into articles for the SRGC website - so many enthusiasts around who would find such things of use - not everyone has money for books.......

charlotte

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 12:42:02 PM »
Maggie,

That is very sweet of you  :) :) :)

I will see what I can do with the information I have but will probably also buy the book to assure myself that I am not repeating findings more thoroughly searched out.

Again, thank you for your kind thoughts,

Charlotte
Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

charlotte

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 01:06:07 PM »
I have checked this supposed "book".  It will be a monograph sponsored by the RHS and authored by someone very knowledgeable.  I am feeling quite indiminated approaching the subject.  Guess I can take a simple approach to it.  Time will tell if I can put anything together warranting publication.

Charlotte

Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »
I was serious in my suggestion , Charlotte.
There will be some for whom that book, no matter if it is the most wonderful book ever, will be too expensive and perhaps, many for whom a Kew Monograph will be too "complicated"- so I have every reason to suppose that a freely available treatment of the subject that is "accessible" in every aspect will be welcome.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 04:35:46 PM »
I would agree with Maggi - we visited John and Carolyn Millen today to see their snowdrop collection, and they have copies of all the snowdrop books that have come out over the past few years. Even if all are written from individually different perspectives, each is equally interesting and instructive - especially when one's interest in a subject is growing and you meet the people who have been growing the plants for much longer than you have yourself. We only grow a few erythroniums and gaining knowledge from the experience of others would be really valuable (and I already have a few Scottish raised varieties high on the wish list!).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Upico

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 08:33:48 PM »
A small "Monograph" .The author well known. Self-made for personal use.
A single piece, not for sale!  ;D

Ian, thank you so much for the wonderful Bulb Log. ;)

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »
You have made a lovely binding Upico, thank you for showing it to us and for your support.

See today's bulb log or some more pictures of Erythronium seed.
 :)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:56:21 PM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Upico

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »
I have already read the bulb log. Thank you again!  ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal