We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium Monograph  (Read 7775 times)

charlotte

Erythronium Monograph
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:49:57 PM »
Does anyone have an unwanted copy of the subject monograph, The Genus Erythronium, by E.I. Applegate, 1935.  I have checked a couple of the used books sellers and do not find it.  Hardly surprising given the age of the book.

It is strange that this subject has not been covered more recently.  Mr. Young, perhaps you should consider doing so.  Your expertise and knowledge on the matter would surely lend itself to full publication.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

Alberto

Re: Erythronium Monograph
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 03:32:57 PM »
Maybe this could be of any help:

http://herbarium.biology.colostate.edu/reprints.htm

Ciao
Alberto

North of Italy
where summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and wet
http://picasaweb.google.com/albertogrossi60

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 04:24:29 PM »
Since Mr Young is up a mountain on the other side of the world at the moment, i will presume to answer for him   ::)  There are promised mongraphs for Erythronium which he and I ... and many of you, as well, are patiently awaiting..... I have made enquiries of a person reported to have written a thesis on the subject, to see if that might be available but I have had no reply  :(  The idea of an Erythronium book is one that Ian and our hero, Brian Mathew, have been mulling over for years... perhaps one day!

As to a copy of Applegate... the one we have here is only a photocopy and not of great quality so not fit, I think, for further reproduction. Blasted scanner doesn't work, anyway. >:(  Perhaps a reprint via Alberto's link is as good a route as any. :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

charlotte

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:23:17 PM »
Alberto
Thank you for the reference.  Will check it out for possibilities and report back.

Maggie,
I am pleased to learn that those who know are considering such a publication.  In the meantime I will delve into the Quarterlies of all the groups.  How such a group of plants can be overlooked for such a long time is a mystery.  It may have to do with the long waiting time from seed to flower, but then Trillium is in print and it is worse than Erythronium in getting from seed to flower.

Thank you both for your help

Best regards
Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

Ed Alverson

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 07:44:16 PM »
Applegate's Erythronium monograph was published in 1935 in volume 3 of the journal Madrono (note there should be a ~ above the "n" in Madrono).  This is the journal of the California Botanical Society and it is possible that they might still have back issues that you could purchase.  This web link: http://www.calbotsoc.org/madrono.html has the relevant contact information.  Unfortunately Madrono is not on JSTOR which is an electronic archive of older scientific journals where you can easily print a pdf version of old papers.

Madrono is a regional botanical journal that is in the holdings of many university libraries in the western US, and probably would also be in libraries of some of the larger botanical gardens in Britain and Europe.  The Erythronium monograph is 55 pages long, so not too long to make your own photocopy.  Despite having been published in 1935 the information is still very relevant and I refer to it all the time.  It of course doesn't have the recently described species, most of which (interestingly) were also published in Madrono.  So, if you are ordering back issues of Madrono, you would want to also get vol. 32 no. 1 (1985); vol. 37 no. 4 (1990); and vol. 44 no. 4 (1997) to complete your Erythronium library.

Ed

Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 07:57:24 PM »
Despite having been published in 1935 the information is still very relevant and I refer to it all the time.
Yes, so do we.

I'll just take this opportunity to refer any newcommers to Ed's excellent series in the main Website on his searches to find erythronium in the wild.... "My Erythronium Big Year"  Part 1 to 5   .....index page here:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/monthfeature/content.html
 Ed's articles  are from April through to May 2006

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 11:17:11 PM »
There's some useful information on Erythronium in "Bulbs of North America", by the North American Rock Garden Society.... just in case you didn't know about it.  Some lovely pics to.  Obviously this covers only the North American species.  Of course having read it I just HAVE to have E. umbilicatum.  Something to find one day!!  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

kaydale

• Bulb Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 06:22:36 AM »
If anyone ever does do a book on Erythroniums I'd love to get it, although I only grow the more common species they are still one of my favourite genus (in the top 10 anyway :))
Lesley
From the best part of Australia
North West Tasmania

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 07:08:15 AM »
Research is being published about Erythronium, but probably not in such
an accessible way as those of us who are gardeners and not botanists
would hope for.

Dr. Geraldine Allen of the University of Victoria, in Victoria, British Columbia,
has these current research interests:

Hybrid zones and hybrid speciation. Many plant species have poorly developed reproductive barriers, and where they come together, they frequently give rise to novel taxa through hybridization. I am using molecular approaches to investigate the origin of hybrid races and species in two genera, Erythronium (Liliaceae) and Aster (Asteraceae).
Phylogeny and biogeography of Erythronium. This genus is highly diverse in western North America, and contains both rare and common species. I am using both morphological and molecular characters to construct a phylogeny of the western North American species, as a basis for inferring morphological evolution, post-Pleistocene migration patterns, and possible causes of rarity.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

charlotte

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 10:20:16 AM »
It is pleasing to know the great interest in the subject.  Ed, thank you for giving me the information on the current publications by Madrono.  I have been in contact for the 1935 copy and learned that a xerox can be supplied at a cost of US$10 - includes the postage.  I will now ask for copies of the current material.
It does seem I have a lot of research to do - always to my liking.  One never knows what will come to light on the second reading.

Thank you all for your help
Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

charlotte

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 04:54:50 PM »
Ed,
Can you please tell me what pages of Vol 37, No. 4 pertain to Erythronium.
I am able to secure issues of 1985 and 1997, but the 1990 issue is not available.  They will xerox the relevant pages if I can tell them which ones.

Thank you for your help
Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 10:32:18 PM »
I hope that lots of you will be pleased by Ian's choice to make his Bulb Logs over the period of his trip to New Zealand on his favourite subject (starting last week, next instalment online now) : Erythronium
What a surprise choice, indeed :-X ::)
http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2008/160108/log.html
http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2008/230108/log.html   
...there's more to come!

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 10:51:29 PM »
I hope that lots of you will be pleased by Ian's choice to make his Bulb Logs over the period of his trip to New Zealand on his favourite subject (starting last week, next instalment online now) : Erythronium
What a surprise choice, indeed :-X ::)
http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2008/160108/log.html
http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2008/230108/log.html   
...there's more to come!

Excellent, look forward to the next installment.  He really ought to write a book about them ...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:07:02 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

charlotte

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 02:40:06 PM »
Ed,
No need to answer.  Have discovered the answer.

Charlotte
Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

charlotte

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 05:54:25 PM »
Ed,
I am embarrassed to say that until today I had not read your excellent series of Erythronium in the wild.  It is wonderfully presented and the photos are inspiring.  When will you and Ian get together for publishing?

Thank you for your generousity

Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal