We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Coffee grounds for plants???  (Read 10158 times)

rgc

Re: Coffee grounds for plants???
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 11:23:02 AM »
Hi
My daughter was in Starbucks and saw that they were giving away coffee grounds as compost for free so she got some for me. Found this old (2008) thread about it and was wondering if anyone had more recent experience or advice. My soil is already acidic, but was thinking of putting some around my Hostas in the front garden as the slugs cut them down to the ground. (Hostas in the back garden have little damage.)

Do any of you use coffee grounds in your garden?
Thanks
Bob
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 09:47:28 AM by rgc »
Bob, Stirling

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 11:52:25 PM »
Coffee grounds are an effective substrate for growing some mushrooms, and they're a lot easier for city dwellers to get than horse manure.

This book describes the procedure:

Organic mushroom farming and mycoremediation : simple to advanced and experimental techniques for indoor and outdoor cultivation by  Tradd Cotter

[It's a book for the adventuresome - he also grows oyster mushrooms  in used pizza boxes, and devotes one chapter to the very difficult growing of morels]
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 11:20:20 AM »
Mercy, Diane! Just as I was chewing over the info that one can grow mushrooms in  coffee grounds - you hit me with the notion of growing in used pizza boxes - what next ?  Odd fact of the year so far  !!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 01:13:08 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that the there is very little acidity left in the grounds once made. I scatter them for the organic content--but don't count on lowered pH.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 03:08:16 PM »
Diane got to the mushroom connection before I could post.

I am sure I saw a programme where a visit was made to a mushroom growing facility (in Bristol I think) where the only growing medium was coffee grounds.  It produced a significant volume of different mushrooms.

As I cannot stand Starbucks coffee - or their tax ethics - I will not be able to get any free waste.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal