We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 68th SRGC Seed Exchange 2014-2015  (Read 15008 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: 68th SRGC Seed Exchange 2014-2015
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2015, 10:28:01 PM »
Not a sign of anything here yet.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2015, 10:37:15 PM »
John, emailing you now....
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jan Jeddeloh

« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2015, 03:50:31 AM »
Would you believe my first round seed finally showed up about three days ago? It was postmarked January 19th.  I sure hope it wasn't sitting on a radiator or hot computer in Seattle.  You'd think they'd take care of a piddly thing (from their perspective) like this just to get it out of their hair.  Of course there was no explanation of why it took so long.

Jan
Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2015, 12:19:08 PM »
Thank goodness it got to you in the end, Jan. You can imagine how these delays infuriate the Seed Team, too.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #154 on: March 06, 2015, 02:01:56 AM »
When we get our Small Lots Permit in the USA, we choose which inspection station we wish to go through.  It doesn't have to be the one nearest to where you live.  When I got my permit, it was recommended to me by a fellow NARGS member and experienced Permit holder that I designate the Jamaica, NY office, on my permit - this, for the purpose of expedition.  I am not sure how many different inspection stations she had tried, but at least two.  I received my SRGC seeds on 31 January, despite the fact that I didn't place my order until 20 November (and I am not a donor).   

Many thanks to the SRGC Seed Team and all the fantastic donors!
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Jan Jeddeloh

« Reply #155 on: March 06, 2015, 02:18:56 AM »
Hi, Maggie and Rick,
I'm sure it is frustrating for the seed ex worker bees when the seed gets hung up someplace out of their control.  Our NARGS chapter has done order fulfillment before and I know how much work it is.  It also seems mysterious since the second round order arrived so quickly. 

Rick,  I was actually told by someone (can't remember who) not to use Jamaica, NY because the seed could end up routed to Jamaica the country.  I think it's a total crap shoot no matter which station you use.  If your seed package ends up on the desk of someone who doesn't care or maybe primarily works on large commercial live plant orders you could be waiting for a while.  At least that's my theory. 

Anyway it's here.  I've sown a few packets of short viability stuff.  The rest is going in the fridge because we're now planning to move house.  We've had it with no sun, steep, clay soil,horsetail, blackberry, English ivy (yes it's THE major invasive in Portland, Oregon), slugs and vole.  A may have missed a plague or two.  The kids are more or less gone-time to get a place more amenable to gardening and biking (husbeast's hobby)

Jan
Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

GordonT

« Reply #156 on: April 05, 2015, 01:11:57 PM »
Finally, there is evidence of spring in the air here, so I have started sowing seeds from the exchange. I had ordered packets of several cultivars of Gentiana acaulis. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the packets is not Gentiana acaulis at all. The seed of G.a. 'Maxima Enzian'(#1828), and G.a. 'Rannoch'(#1829) looked familiar enough, but what came out of the packet Gentiana acaulis white (#1825) was definitely not seed of acaulis. I planted it anyhow, tagging it with a question mark for further observation. I did keep one seed aside, and might try to take a photo to share. I would describe it as being a flattened ovoid shape, whitish in colour, and having a bit of a wing extending around the outside edge.  Has anyone else noticed this oddity?
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal