We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 68th SRGC Seed Exchange 2014-2015  (Read 15036 times)

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
Re: 68th SRGC Seed Exchange 2014-2015
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2015, 09:31:12 AM »
I reckon I must have the record this year. Nothing to do with the seed exchange. Seed from Oregon posted on 1st October arrived last week after going round the world twice, spotted at one time in Malaysia. I am still waiting on some seed from Southern California posted on 24th November, it has successfully passed Brazil customs  ??? Hopefully they won't be growing by the time I get them.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »
My surplus seeds arrived today, thank you again.  :)
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2015, 03:23:19 PM »
From the  SRGC Seed Distribution Team -  Carolyn McNab, Seed Distribution Manager

Oh the excitement and impatience to be sowing!  As usual, all the seed requests have been processed in sequence.  This started in mid January and packets have been sent out during January.    Some of the early requests were completed but for a few seeds listed which came from a box that was late being packeted and hence late  arriving at the distribution centre.  As soon as the seeds were delivered, those requests were completed and posted too.    Then the franking machine decided not to cooperate and that led to further delays.   Please be patient and give the postal system a chance to deliver your much wanted choices.   At this stage, we are hoping that your orders are all en route if not already safely with you.

Carolyn McNab, Seed Distribution Manager

and from Neil McNulty :

Please do not enquire about the whereabouts of seed requests until after 5th February; and then to the postal address and email  address  shown in The Seed Pages

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:25:29 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Pykkonen

« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2015, 05:09:20 PM »
I am building those virtuous patience "muscles", waiting.  :-\

As  a US participant, my seeds have to go through the Department of Agriculture inspection process.  I was assigned the Seattle inspection station so I called there but my seeds have not arrived yet although others originating from the SRGC have.  They advised me to be patient because "it is a busy time of year and they prioritize live plants over seeds", so it might be a few weeks even after the seeds arrive until they get to them.   That might mean I miss the window for outdoors cold stratification this year, but I guess I can save them for next winter then.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2015, 11:17:13 AM »
I have always planted my seeds as soon as I get them. My germination rate is poor and I now wonder if saving the seeds indoors until the warmer weather would give better germination results? I have seeds in pots in the unheated greenhouse from the last two years that show no signs of germinating. An Alpine plant grower told me he keeps seed in pots for two years. If they have not germinated he then throws the contents in the garden.

TomasR

« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2015, 02:50:15 PM »
I received Salvia nubigena 3 weeks ago from the seed exchange.I am interested in finding out who who donated the seed and has a plant of it growing in their garden.Also,where they got the plant or seed of it !
Tomas Roantree in Ireland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2015, 04:43:39 PM »
I received Salvia nubigena 3 weeks ago from the seed exchange.I am interested in finding out who who donated the seed and has a plant of it growing in their garden.Also,where they got the plant or seed of it !
Tomas Roantree in Ireland

Hello Tomas - Welcome to the forum! 

Pykkonen

« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2015, 05:20:45 PM »
My seeds arrived Monday, Feb. 2.  Everything except two selections - great stuff.  Thank you to distribution team!

claykoplin

• Point Barrow Alaska
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »
Some seed arrived to Alaska Monday Feb 2nd, and all-out hands-down record thanks to USDA Aphis Hawaii vs Houston.  Some seed planted, more in progress :)  Many thanks to the Seed Exchange team (esp. the new club in their first year); off and running...
in Cordova, Alaska

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2015, 03:00:18 PM »
Even seed that was thought to have gone missing is now turning up around the world- which is very good  news for everyone - from the members who were waiting for it, and for the Seed Distribution Team who had worked so hard to get the orders out in the first place.

Once the seed  is "in the post" there is no knowing what might happen to it on its journey around the world to members, nor, of course, is there anything the Seed Team can do about that uncertainty - so it is really nice to hear when errant packages of seed do turn up !

Jan Jeddeloh

« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2015, 08:41:03 PM »
I got my Surplus seed order over a week ago here in Portland, Oregon.  But I've yet to see my first round seed order which is where I hope my most wanted goodies are.  Has anyone else had this happen to them?  I have visions of my seed sitting on some bureaucrat's hot computer in Seattle.......

At the Scottish end is there any record of when the seed was mailed?  This is in case I have to try to track it down from my end. 

I'm hoping by posting this the seed will magically show up in today's mail.  Please tell me most everyone does eventually get there seed.  I'm always careful not to order any seed that might be viewed with suspicion.

Thanks,
Jan
Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2015, 08:55:24 PM »
Yes, Jan, it does happen that main allocation seed does arrive after the surplus - goodness knows how the postal services of the various countries manage that, but they do!

If you want to contact the Seed Team direct  then you can email Neil McNulty :

neil.mcnultysrgcseedexchangeATtalktalk.net replacing the AT with @

Tasmanian Taffy

« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2015, 08:35:37 AM »
 A very happy chappy my seeds arrived today at long last, almost a month since they were posted.
A great big thank you to all those involved in the seed ex.
best wishes to all John.

Rimmer de Vries

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »
Seeds arrived today in Michigan!
 the postal zip code was cut from the mailing label so the package took over 3 weeks after release from the inspection station. But it finally arrived.

thank you for all the work

rimmer
Rimmer
Bowling Green, Kentucky USA
36.9685° N
USDA zone 6b-7a
Long hot humid summers
Cool wet winter
Heavy red clay soil over limestone karst

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2015, 11:39:07 AM »
Seeds arrived yesterday, postmarked 16 Jan :o     Don't know where they've been lurking for 3+ weeks but most welcome.

Thanks as always to the seed exchange team & donors.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal