We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: misnamed AGS 2009 seed has flowered  (Read 801 times)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
misnamed AGS 2009 seed has flowered
« on: April 16, 2015, 05:49:49 AM »
Quote from 2009:   My 2009 AGS seed includes 4 packets of Tecophilaea seed. 
Three packets look OK, but the one labelled 'leichtlinii' #5366 is completely different.

A couple of members thought the seed looked like Romulea.

Well, it has finally flowered. There is one stem emerging from the soil.  A very narrow leaf 90 cm long begins just above ground level,  and another leaf emerges at 20 cm above the ground and is currently 32 cm long.  The stem continues a bit and has a flower at its highest point - 30 cm above ground. 

Of course, none of this plant is actually much above ground level, but instead is lolling along the ground.  Maybe it normally grows among shrubs which help it stand up.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: misnamed AGS 2009 seed has flowered
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 05:55:27 AM »
Hi Diane,
Well, I'm glad I didn't bother sowing the packet I got! I'm pretty sure I looked at the seed and knew it would be a Romulea,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: misnamed AGS 2009 seed has flowered
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 10:14:08 AM »
Quote from 2009:   My 2009 AGS seed includes 4 packets of Tecophilaea seed. 
Three packets look OK, but the one labelled 'leichtlinii' #5366 is completely different.

A couple of members thought the seed looked like Romulea.

Well, it has finally flowered. There is one stem emerging from the soil.  A very narrow leaf 90 cm long begins just above ground level,  and another leaf emerges at 20 cm above the ground and is currently 32 cm long.  The stem continues a bit and has a flower at its highest point - 30 cm above ground. 

Of course, none of this plant is actually much above ground level, but instead is lolling along the ground.  Maybe it normally grows among shrubs which help it stand up.

Original message here : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=296.msg127174#msg127174  with photo of the seeds.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal