We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 68th SRGC Seed Exchange 2014-2015  (Read 15009 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
68th SRGC Seed Exchange 2014-2015
« on: September 24, 2014, 11:51:22 AM »
68th SRGC Seed Exchange 2014-2015

We hope that many of you have already, or are just about to contribute seed to the SRGC Seed Exchange  :)
Please send the seed to arrive Stuart Pawley BEFORE the 31st October - you can email him a list in advance of seed you are sending  if you suspect it may be late in arriving.  All details are below.

Your contribution the the Seed Ex. is much appreciated.

The Seed Exchange online ordering system will go "live"  probably in late  November - there will be a post here and on the main site when that happens.
Online ordering means your requests are clearly received by the seed team and makes the listing of seed included to you in order to comply with  overseas regulations much more simple, and removes the need for members to make those lists when ordering.

As in previous years, in the online system there will be the chance to "click" to search info/images on the seeds offered,  to help with those species with which you may be unfamiliar.

Those preferring to order by post may do so and still enter the system to make their payment.

Other Notes:
Seed exchange charges remain unchanged
As was the case in 2013-14, all members will have to pay for all seed requests.
We have decided to keep the rates unchanged; this means that all members will pay £5,
€7 or $10 for their main seed request in 2014-15, and the same for each order of
25 packets in the surplus distribution. Full details of how to pay will be included in
the Seed List and online, and you can pay online for both online and paper
requests. We can only accept cheques in sterling from a UK bank, and can accept
sterling, Euros or US dollars in cash.

Autumn 2014 Seed Donations

Please send seed donations, individually packaged per variety, preferably in a
paper envelope, and cleaned of all seed cases, debris, insects, etc to:-
Prof. Stuart Pawley, Acres of Keillour, Methven, Perth, Scotland, UK, PH1 3RA.

Please include your name and address and a clearly written alphabetical list
of the seed you are sending. Please don’t be put off if you only have a small
amount of seed of a species, or only a few species to send - it may be the small
amount of seed that no-one else has, and that someone would love to have.
The deadline for seed to arrive at Stuart’s door is 31st October 2014.
If you have “late maturing” seed that cannot be sent until later, please send the
information about this as early as possible and before 31st October, to Stuart at
gsp.srgc@btinternet.com.
Send the list in the text of an e-mail, not as an attachment. Stuart can’t afford a computer virus at this critical time. It is important to send the information early so we can produce the seed list in good time. Please send late seed as soon as you can.

Seed Lists

All donors and overseas members (with a postal subscription)will receive a seed list by post automatically. Orders may be made online or by post.
Home non-donors should request a list from Stuart Pawley, and send a C5 stamped
addressed envelope to him. Last date for requesting a list is 14th December.
The seed list will be available from mid-November, and will go online at the same time;
all members can browse and order online as well as by post.

The online seed password  is included in the paper version of the Secretary's pages and in the Journal. 

Those members receiving their Journals by post need to REGISTER by first accessing the system via  the password printed in Journal 133 (on page 5)-  Important Notice : A mistake has been made in the password printed in the Journal: the first two letters there should be in upper case, the next four in lower case - the password in the printed seedlist is correct........ after that they enter their full details and choose a personal password and will activate their seed accounts. If the activation email does not appear to arrive, please check the spam filter online on your email provider's site - such automated emails can be caught up in that way by some providers and some customers of hotmail and gmail may not receive these automated  emails.  Once they have activated their accounts, postal members need to LOG IN  with ther membership numbers and the personal password they  have chosen.
Those members holding an "E-subscription", who only access their Journals online, need only LOG IN with their e-number and the personal password they use to access journals.

Seed Packeting

Seed packeting will be done during November / early December. Ian Pryde would
be grateful to hear from any UK member willing to volunteer to packet seeds.
Full instructions and guidance will be provided; details from Ian Pryde on 01875
615185 or 07746 298334 or at ipryde@btinternet.com

Seed Distribution: early 2015

From 2014-15, we have a new Seed Distribution Team. After twelve years of
superb service to the Club, the Edinburgh Group is taking a well-earned break.
Our very grateful thanks and congratulations go to them for managing the distribution
so well for so long; they have done a fantastic job.

In 2014-15, the South-West Scotland Group will be a taking on the Distribution role, and the Club is very grateful to them for picking up the baton.
Full details of the arrangements for ordering seed will be included in the seed list and on the website.
Seed requests must reach the new Seed Request Manager, Neil McNulty by 15th January.
We cannot guarantee to meet requests received later. The South-West Scotland Rock
Garden Group will begin seed distribution in early January; we aim to have all
main requests completed by January 18th.
Donors’ seed requests are completed first, on the basis of their donation record.
Donating more seed and for more years moves you up the list. Non-donors and
surplus seed requests will be dealt with in order of their arrival date with Neil
McNulty.
Surplus seed distribution will not begin until all main requests are
completed; and not before Jan. 18th, so members will receive their main and
surplus requests a few weeks apart.
We hope to complete surplus distribution by the first weekend in February.

Please do not enquire about the whereabouts of seed requests until after 5th February; queries should be addressed to Neil McNulty, 6 Main Rd, Crookedholm, Kilmarnock, KA3 6JT, Scotland, UK.
neil.mcnultysrgcseedexchange@talktalk.net

US Members

US members must have a ‘Small Lots of Seeds’ permit, which is issued by APHIS.
You can find details of how to get a permit at:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/smalllots_seed.sht
ml
This must be a ‘small lots’ permit, as this does not require UK phytosanitary
certification.
You must enclose a copy of the permit and conditions and a green/yellow customs
label for each order - one for a main order, and one for each surplus order of 50
packets.
If you order online, you must still post the permit documents and labels to Neil
McNulty (or you may send them to Stuart Pawley with your seed donation).
You
can copy your permit as many times as you need. Please ensure your permit is still
valid before you send copies to us; the permits are valid for three years.
We must stress that “no permit, no seed” is the SRGC rule! We will do our best to
get everyone their seed, but it must be in compliance with USDA regulations.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:07:48 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
Re: 68th SRGC Seed Exchange 2014-2015
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:52:06 AM »
Woohoow, received the seedlist yesterday. Wonderful list, as always! Any idea when the order form will be online?
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 10:36:36 AM »
Hi Maggi this is my first seed distribution and I have to say I'm really impressed, that's some list.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »
The  online Seed Exchange ordering service will go online SOON!  (Patience, Friends - I remind you that it is a virtue!)

A notice will be posted here, and on the main Seed Ex. page when the service is live.

I remind all postal members ( those who receive their Journals by post) that before they can order or pay for seed they must register and activate a new seed account each year. This is done via the Seed Ex. pages when the service is operational. 

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 05:49:52 PM »
The  online Seed Exchange ordering service will go online SOON!  (Patience, Friends - I remind you that it is a virtue!)

I'm a bit of a rascal, never heard of virtues...  ;) ;)  :P  :P
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 10:05:25 PM »
Has the seed list been posted?  I read that it would be posted at the same time as it is mailed out, but I don't see it anywhere... ?  Could someone direct me to its location, please? 
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Gene Mirro

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 12:09:08 AM »
Lori, the seed exchange is listed under "About Us" on the main SRGC page, but the seed exchange link is not visible on my computer  for some reason.  I found a link under About Us, Events, "Quick Links":  http://www.srgc.net/site/index.php/extensions/seed-exchange .  But there is this note:

"The SRGC Seed Exchange Service is closed at the moment."

Does that mean the payment service or the seed list itself?  I can't find the new seed list.  Are people already ordering?
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 12:29:33 AM »
Thanks, Gene.  I got that far as well, and thought the seed list would be posted there (as it sounded from a couple of comments here and elsewhere as though the seed list was available for viewing, if not yet for on-line ordering, or had at least been received by mail).  I'm sure the question will be answered shortly.  :)
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 08:34:45 AM »
The online seed system is not yet activated that is for ordering or paying -  postal seed lists are still arriving with many Members. We try to make it as fair as is possible between those using the postal system and the online version so wait until we know that most have received their postal lists before activating the online system.
Please be patient, we will let you know through these pages when it is activated - it should be in the next few days.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 09:07:54 AM »
  http://www.srgc.net/site/index.php/extensions/seed-exchange is the Seed Exchange page in the main site

While Donors may have already received their seedlists, the majority of lists are still in the post.
 The delay is to allow the seedlist to have a better chance to reach our members in more distant countries.

It has been stated that a notice will be posted here and n the main page when the seed exchange goes "live".
At that time the list will be available for browsing online as well as in the ordering system.

Please be patient - while it is stated by the Seed Team that the list will be available at the "same time" - it is not possible for the Web Team to do this when were are asked to allow time for paper lists to reach far-flung places , and when we are not told when the lists are posted out.  :(

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
SRGC 68th Seed Exchange 2014-2015 - online ordering and payment now enabled
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 01:06:40 PM »
Online ordering is now enabled :
To order seed online or pay online for seed ordered by post, a registration is required each year by members receiving their Journals by post.  Please note that postal members need to re- register and activate a new seed account each year. This registration is via the seed service pages ( link below) NOT via the main SRGC web page.

If you have registered via the main site you will ONLY be able to access the online seed ordering service if  you are a current e-subscription holder.(e-subscription members are those members who access the journal online.)

Please read the notes and follow the instructions carefully, bearing in mind that the SRGC system is individual and may differ from other systems!

Those members receiving their Journals by post need to REGISTER by first accessing the system via  the password printed in Journal 133 (on page 5) - BUT  please note there is a mistake there, the first two letters there should be in upper case, the next four in lower case - the password in the printed seedlist is correct - after that they enter their full details and choose a personal password and will activate their seed accounts. If the activation email does not appear to arrive, please check the spam filter online on your email provider's site - such automated emails can be caught up in that way by some providers.
After activation, postal members will then LOG IN with their membership number and their own persoanl password

Those members holding an "E-subscription", who only access their Journals online, need only
LOG IN with their e-number and the personal password they use to access journals.

The password for initial access to the online system in 2014/15 was shown in Journal #133 (on page 5). If you  are a "postal" member you will also need to enter your membership number (from the envelope that The Rock Garden arrives in)."E-sub" members can access their number online.

SRGC SEED EXCHANGE No. 68 : See all details and the link to the service to order or pay for seeds online:  CLICK HERE

The current seedlist is available to browse  HERE
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:09:20 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 01:34:22 PM »
 Please note that postal members need to re- register and activate a new seed account each year. This registration is via the seed service pages ( link below) NOT via the main SRGC web page.

If you have registered via the main site you will ONLY be able to access the online seed ordering service if  you are a current e-subscription holder.(e-subscription members are those members who access the journal online.)

Those using hotmail or gmail   email accounts may find difficulty in receiving their activation emails.

Please READ the simple instructions  - if you do that you should have no problems.

If by any chance  the activation email does not appear in your inbox within ten minutes, then please check the online spam filter of your email provider.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:21:20 PM by Maggi Young »

Susann

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 02:33:41 PM »
First of all, thank you four such an interesting seedlist! And for such good instructions how to order. Even I managed to get my order through.

There was a note regarding "turnups" in the seedlist. ( This is a new word to me. I find it useful and will try to use it. At least figurativily.)

So, here is my answer to the question in the note: No, sorry to say, but my trousers does not have any turnups. Maybe I should write to "Lindhags" and suggest it? However,  it does not really matter as I find the wool sweater sleeves far more useful. Not to mention what might slip into a tent´s floor,  big floras, wool west coats back or letters sent to friends...
463059-0
As you see, no turnups!
463061-1
But I am happy with my trousers anyway
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 02:59:06 PM »
A mistake has been made in the password printed in the Journal  : please note there is a mistake there, the first two letters there should be in upper case, the next four in lower case - the password in the printed seedlist is correct

Dionysia

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 03:20:14 PM »
How long should the e-mail take to arrive? I got the 'Thank you for registering' over 20 minutes ago but no e-mail, including in Junk.
Paul
 in Chippenham

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal