We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 19818 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2014, 01:58:26 AM »

One last photograph, a group of Dryopteris arguta growing in the shade of Bigleaf Maples, Acer macrophylla. Today, I came across 5 species of fern, the others were Adiantum jordanii, Pentagramma triangularis, Polypodium calirhiza, and Asidotis densa.

I found a good spur-trail that traversed its way up the side of the canyon. On the cliff faces grew Heuchera micrantha.

There were also many Dudleya cymosa.

Most growing directly out of the rock faces. There orange-yellow flowers will be spectacular in the spring when they are all blooming.

Another common plant on these shaded, seasonally moist, and rocky areas were Saxifraga californica.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Leon

• The messy gardener
    • Heartland Peony Society
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2014, 02:10:36 AM »
10 December 2014
The rattlesnake and Cougar signs I liked the best.

Yikes!
I generally only try to grow plants that don't want to grow here.

Leon

• The messy gardener
    • Heartland Peony Society
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2014, 02:15:16 AM »
10 December 2014

Being the north facing bank, there were many fern species. This being Dryopteris arguta, Wood Fern.
Is the small leafed plant also a fern?  It is very interesting.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:24:35 AM by Leon »
I generally only try to grow plants that don't want to grow here.

Robert

« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2014, 02:21:17 AM »

Some of the side canyons were very moist and shaded. Moss on a Bigleaf Maple, enjoying the rain this season.

This outing was another low elevation outing. The trailhead started at 660 ft. (201 meters). The spur-trail ended at 1,065 ft. (about 323 meters) and this limestone cliff face. I was needing to turn back - but this will be a very interesting area to check on later. There were no trails leading into this area so it may be very undisturbed.

This photograph shows that the limestone vein crosses to the south facing bank of the river. Still another place to check out and see who grows there.

An upstream photograph. This becomes wild country with few roads or trails. I have spent most of my travels in this area. It is an amazing area - whole mountainsides with Erythroniums blooming in the early spring. Also, marijuana growers! Very scary as they are extremely violent. I would much rather deal with the cougars. They live there too.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2014, 02:27:14 AM »

On the way back, I found some Sanicola with new growth. I will have to see them in bloom to make the ID.

Also, Phacelia, most likely P. hastata, growing at a low elevation. Another to ID when it is in bloom.

This turned out o be an excellent scouting trip as there is much more to explore.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2014, 02:34:39 AM »
I'm also fascinated by these xerophytic ferns. We have grown Cheilanthes on the nursery in the past and they seem more tolerant than many other species and spores can hold viability for some time. These are just on the borderline of hardiness with us but maybe some of the Californian species would be hardier? I enjoy seeing these mountain and dryland ferns at Alpine Shows as much as dionysias and rosulate violas ;). There some very interesting S. American species too, hardly cultivated I suppose.

Tim,

Some of the xeric ferns have a considerable altitude range. I feel that those from the higher elevations would be hardy for you as it is much colder and snowy at the upper part of their range. There are season where the snow cover is not reliable with extremely cold weather, easily -17c.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2014, 02:43:26 AM »
Is the small leafed plant also a fern?  It is very interesting.

Leon,

Yes, the small leafed plant is Adiantum jordanii, a Maidenhair fern.

Yikes!

Yikes! When you read on.... This is what I think of the marijuana growers. They are heavily armed and crazy. I will be glad when the sheriff's department clears them out permanently. I never want to hear of them again.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2014, 01:25:34 PM »

Ooopps! This photograph should be labeled as Lomatium

not Sanicula.

A strong winter storm has finally arrived. The winds are gusting to 60 mph. Who knows how long the power will stay on?
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »
Robert, I really do hope that the marijuana growers don't frighten people from walking in the wilderness!

Some I know would also be frightened by cougars or rattlesnakes! When I was in the rain forest in Ecuador we were told to look out for ants, not snakes or 4-legged animals.

On Svalbard we were warned against polar bears:

464763-0

You have again shown some beautiful scenery and interesting plants. Are Dudleia cymosa and Adiantum jordanii frost hardy?

Here is an American fern grown from spores, I think it is Polystichum munitum, in my garden:

464765-1

Just now when I am sitting and writing this we have a thunderstorm with hail outside!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2014, 12:08:26 AM »
Robert, I really do hope that the marijuana growers don't frighten people from walking in the wilderness!

You have again shown some beautiful scenery and interesting plants. Are Dudleia cymosa and Adiantum jordanii frost hardy?

Here is an American fern grown from spores, I think it is Polystichum munitum, in my garden:

Trond,

Yes, the marijuana growers do frighten people from the wilderness - including me! There are certain times of year when I will not hike in some middle elevation areas. Last week, there was an article in our local newspaper that law enforcement was finally going to crack down on this activity. I certainly hope that they are successful and that no one from law enforcement is harmed. When it is safe, there is much to explore in these inaccessible middle elevation locations.

Dudleya cymosa and Adiantum jordanii are certainly hardy in our area. Every winter, it generally gets to about -7c, sometimes colder -10c to -12c. The coldest temperature I have ever recorded at the farm is 8F (-13c). Very few of our natives were damaged at this temperature. I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Your Polystichum munitum is beautiful. It clearly likes your garden and gardening climate. Dudleya cymosa and Adiantum jordanii are equally as cold hard as Polystichum munitum. The Dudleya needs good drainage and to be very dry during the summer, otherwise it will rot at the crown. Most grow on vertical cliff faces and get very little or no summer rainfall. Adiantum jordanii will go dormant during the summer when it is hot and dry. With irrigation it will stay green.

I'm glad that we do not have to deal with Polar Bears!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2014, 08:43:40 AM »
Robert,
we were in fact a bit sorry we didn't see any!

Seems you have had a bit rough weather the last days?

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2014, 10:18:18 AM »
Here the marijuana growers can't grow outdoors so they rent houses and grow hydroponicly  under
lights. We had one next door who was growing in his garage. Last month a nearby house went up in flames and the investigators found marijuana plants in the ruins. Seems to be rife around here.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Hoy

« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2014, 12:09:44 PM »
I meant I would like to see a polar bear, not a marijuana grower!

But you don't meet the last category outside. Like John says, they are indoors and use sophisticated methods and expensive equipment.

Robert

« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2014, 01:27:53 PM »
Robert,
we were in fact a bit sorry we didn't see any!

Seems you have had a bit rough weather the last days?

Trond,

I see what you mean. It would be interesting to see Polar Bears in the wild.

Yes, we finally had a good winter type storm; strong winds, heavy rainfall, localized flooding, and cold enough for snow in the Sierra Nevada. This is very welcome considering the drought conditions for the last 3 years. We are really hoping for a good rainfall season this years. The wildflowers will be spectacular if this weather holds for the rest of our rainy season.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ruweiss

« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2014, 08:32:29 PM »
Robert, please beware of the marijuana growers. We need you and hope for more
interesting pictures of your native plants in their natural habitats.
Many thanks for everything!
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal