We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: mostly making troughs- but some yellow sandersii comments  (Read 17246 times)

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
Re: mostly making troughs- but some yellow sandersii comments
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2008, 07:56:37 AM »
I think that is was because the Cornishmen were too good at luring in passing boats to be wreaked that we change our laws ;D
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2008, 08:56:38 AM »
Susan,
I have no idea why I see no fish boxes. It might have something to do with the fish retail structure in Sweden. I have to go to Germany to buy large size paper napkins made in Sweden.
It is not time consuming to make them if one has the right tools and I know that the ones I make now will still be there when I am dead.
Paddy,
I also think that it is better not to fake. However, I must admit that I might sometime succumb to the temptation to make a "Japanese" "Stone" Lantern in concrete since I cannot buy the real thing - only Chinese copies in the wrong kind of stone.
I use these boxes for propagation purposes so the looks are secondary. However, I tend to find that utility sometimes adds to beauty,
Göte 
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2008, 09:57:33 AM »
Maggi,

I think the fishboxes require great imagination.

Paddy

Depends on the skill of the workman. Sandy Leven has loads of polystyrene fish box troughs in his garden, round the corner from my house, which are used at the 'Gardening Scotland' show in June. His fabulous team have won several gold medals and even close up they look like real stone and not a drop of hypertufa in sight, or on site, for that matter.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2008, 12:27:49 PM »
Oh, to be so artistic, Anthony. I am limited in my abilities and go with the hypertufa troughs. Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2008, 12:33:20 PM »
Me too Paddy. I would set fire to myself. :(
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2008, 05:41:47 PM »
I think that is was because the Cornishmen were too good at luring in passing boats to be wreaked that we change our laws ;D

Most of the rich Tre........ families in Cornwall owed a large proportion of their wealth to 'wrecking'(ie family names commencing with Tre......)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2008, 05:56:33 PM »
Isn't it interesting that when this ship was wrecked, with a cargo of timber, there are many policemen guarding it to prevent looting but last year when that container ship sank, or lost its cargo, there were no police and we saw pictures on TV of people carrying off motor bikes and washing machines, huge packs of babies' nappies... all sorts !

Two reasons.

1. the cargo from the Napoli (including BMW motor bikes and parts) were washed up on the Devon coast, and Devon people, including policemen, share Cornish people's love of 'wrecking' ;D

2. To be serious, the roads leading to the beaches where stuff was washed up, including full containers, are little more than tracks, with absolutely no space for parking so the police thought folks wouldn't bother. In addition all kinds of Orders were posted by HM Revenue and Customs declaring the stuff as protected salvage-as if people would take any notice of that! In the event people came from all over England, complete with metal cutting gear, vans to cart stuff away etc., and it wasn't long before most of the cargo was available on EBay! We walked over the Cliffs one Sunday to the main beach in question, which is about a few hundred yards long, and it was crammed with people many of whom were parking five miles away.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal