We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: mostly making troughs- but some yellow sandersii comments  (Read 17279 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: mostly making troughs- but some yellow sandersii comments
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2008, 11:24:48 PM »
Robin Hall (Scottish Folk Singer ) died in 1998, Anthony... as far as I know, Jimmy MacGregor is still very busy, sininging less but walking the hills, making programmes about that and other such stuff! :P

Ah yes. The wrong way round. :-[ I remember my sister getting Jimmy's autograph in the cafe at Queen Street railway station in Glasgow in the 70s.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2008, 09:45:17 AM »
This is perhaps the wrong place to post but Maggi brought up the fish boxes (which I have never seen here in Sweden)

I use wooden boxes. They are very sturdy, easy to lift. last for ever and function well. Of course they do not look more like an antique stone through than a plastic pot looks like an antique urn ;).
I buy 150*20mm board of impregnated wood. Six pieces 310mm long will make a box with three 3mm slits in the bottom. I use 16 stainless steel screws to keep them together. (24 if I feel magnanimous)
In the bottom, I put a layer of coarse gravel so that drainage works also between the slits.
If someone is interested I could try to post a picture.
Göte   
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2008, 09:48:51 AM »
This is perhaps the wrong place to post but Maggi brought up the fish boxes (which I have never seen here in Sweden)

I use wooden boxes. They are very sturdy, easy to lift. last for ever and function well. Of course they do not look more like an antique stone through than a plastic pot looks like an antique urn ;).
I buy 150*20mm board of impregnated wood. Six pieces 310mm long will make a box with three 3mm slits in the bottom. I use 16 stainless steel screws to keep them together. (24 if I feel magnanimous)
In the bottom, I put a layer of coarse gravel so that drainage works also between the slits.
If someone is interested I could try to post a picture.
Göte   

Gote, yes, please do post a picture.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2008, 10:05:57 AM »
I hope the picture works! this is my first attempt in the new list I believe.
The cross section of the board can, of course, be varied. I use approximately 150*20mm. The wood should preferably be treated against rotting. I am fortunate since I own some wood working machines so I always plane if there is any risk of splinters but it is usually possible to buy planed wood.
The length of the six pieces should be twice the width plus three times the required slit. On should be generous with the slit if the wood is dry. It swells a lot when wet. If the wood is untreated, one can use nails. However if one has paid for treated wood, only stainless screws last as long as the wood.
I cover the bottom with gravel so the whole surface is drained.
Since the “gables” do not go all the way to the ground, it is easy to get the fingers under and lift.   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 11:00:56 AM by Maggi Young »
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2008, 10:11:30 AM »
Certainly a sturdy construction, Gote. It should last many years and, I think, looks as good if not better than the styrofoam fish boxes with the added cement/hypertufa covering. Sometimes if something is to be an artificial item in the garden it is as well to let it be obviously artificial rather than make a poor attempt at imitating nature.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2008, 11:25:24 AM »
Gote, I am surprised you can't find our infamous polystyrene fish boxes. The company which produces them has its head office in Sweden. - Sundolitt - Mind you you wooden boxes serve the same purpose but time consuming to make.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2008, 11:52:40 AM »
I wouldn't add hypertufa covering to a polystyrene fish box. Five minutes with a blowtorch and it is ready to paint.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2008, 11:53:16 AM »
it is as well to let it be obviously artificial rather than make a poor attempt at imitating nature.

Come now, Paddy, would you realy want twenty naked fishboxes sitting in your garden? They make great troughs, but some degree of artifice is surely better in that circumstance than using the plain white boxes? I know plenty folks do use 'em plain.... but  it looks really scruffy!  Gote's sturdy box is super, though I wouldn't like to move/carry it far when filled... that is  the real plus point for the poly boxes! :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2008, 05:54:45 PM »
Maggi,

I think the fishboxes require great imagination.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2008, 06:21:12 PM »
All mine, 17, are covered in hypertufa

Rob you arent the only one with green tinted yellow snowdrops. All My 'Wendy's Gold' and limey green
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2008, 07:05:30 PM »
There is still a lot of good wood on the coast to build a proper wooden one!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2008, 07:18:38 PM »
There is still a lot of good wood on the coast to build a proper wooden one!

Loads and loads of it, but surrounded by policemen so you can't get at it.

This is a result of a recent shipwreck off the Devon coast. The ship was loaded with timber and, in a storm, the timber shifted and eventually the ship went down. Much of the timber followed currents and the wind direction and floated Eastwards towards the Dorset coast. See

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7197667.stmast
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2008, 10:16:10 PM »
Isn't it interesting that when this ship was wrecked, with a cargo of timber, there are many policemen guarding it to prevent looting but last year when that container ship sank, or lost its cargo, there were no police and we saw pictures on TV of people carrying off motor bikes and washing machines, huge packs of babies' nappies... all sorts !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2008, 10:53:07 PM »
Maybe they learnt from last year.  Or more likely the owners of this one learnt from last year and quickly arranged a salvage coverage.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2008, 06:10:52 AM »
Isn't it interesting that when this ship was wrecked, with a cargo of timber, there are many policemen guarding it to prevent looting but last year when that container ship sank, or lost its cargo, there were no police and we saw pictures on TV of people carrying off motor bikes and washing machines, huge packs of babies' nappies... all sorts !

Maggi,
Isn't it nice that the good old Friesian custom of 'Strandräuberei' (shore robbery/wrecking) is still alive?
I thought this was a speciality of the German coastland inhabitants centuries ago  ;)

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal