We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Early starters  (Read 1499 times)

Ross Barbour

• Old Court Nurseries and The Picton Garden
Early starters
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:11:08 PM »
Slowly but surely the crevice is coming to life at Ragley with some pretty Saxi's.

fixpix

Re: Early starters
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 09:32:47 AM »
I like them!
Not a lot of success with my Saxi seeds yet... :(
Some of my creations :)
http://edenium.sunphoto.ro/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 12:19:54 PM »
Looking good Ross.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Ross Barbour

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:44:27 PM »
Thanks. That was a while ago now and I haven’t seen it for a while. I finished at Ragley a couple of weeks ago, I am now at Old Court Nurseries and the Picton Garden. I am looking forward to building a large rock garden there which is very exciting. I am also heading up Old Court Design and I cant wait for my first rock garden project, we are on the cusp of an alpine/rock garden renaissance.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 08:04:14 PM »
Best of luck with all your new projects, Ross.
If you see how vibrant things are here in the SRGC with such activity from around the world, and look, for instance, at the crevice garden threads you'll see that rock gardening has never gone away, in fact it is very much the ongoing passion of gardeners in just about every botanic garden you can think of, from Denmark to Canada, never mind for private gardeners - and in the trough threads there is every evidence of the appeal of alpine plants no matter how much space you may- or may not have.  It would be fun to see the rest of the gardening world catch up with us - you'll have to do your bit for that !

It would be good to think that the 'younghorts' will get to grips with rock garden and alpine plants too - I doubt there are too many dahlia clubs offering student grants or the chance to join such an organised worldwide network. That may be something else you can tackle!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 08:21:54 PM »
Thanks. That was a while ago now and I haven’t seen it for a while. I finished at Ragley a couple of weeks ago, I am now at Old Court Nurseries and the Picton Garden. I am looking forward to building a large rock garden there which is very exciting. I am also heading up Old Court Design and I cant wait for my first rock garden project, we are on the cusp of an alpine/rock garden renaissance.

I'm a fairly frequent visitor to Ledbury, must pop in some time it's quite a few years since we have been to Old Court to see the Asters.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 10:15:39 PM »
Just realised I didn't add the link about  the Picton  student grants - http://www.autumnasters.co.uk/picton_garden.htm - which chimes well with SRGC work in that area.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 05:09:57 PM »
As we heard,  in the snowdrop pages I think,  Ross Barbour is now at Old Court and last month married Helen Picton, so they can expect an exciting new life together there.
Good wishes were sent to the happy couple via Ross' twitter page .

Old Court Nursery and the Picton garden started by Percy Picton are now run by his granddaughter Helen and her husband Ross. Ross is writing a blog on the AGS site about what is going on in the garden.   Catch it here

Ross Barbour

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 07:24:24 PM »
Thank you x

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal