We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus August 2014  (Read 12782 times)

Mini-daffs

Re: Narcissus August 2014
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2014, 12:04:55 PM »
 ;D
Hi
A few photos of what is flowering today in Canberra.
There are photos of two miniature 1Y-Y seedlings. The larger one is a Keira seedling while the tiny miniature seedling is from Glenbrook Bulb Farm (Rod Barwick). The larger one is a the sort of thing that is ideal for pot culture. It has foliage that is similar to a standard daffodil. Like all good miniatures the flower is above the foliage.
The last photo is of a very good 1Y-W miniature seedling.
Graham, Canberra, Australia

Mini-daffs

« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2014, 12:07:59 PM »
 ;D
Hi
Some more photos.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2014, 12:13:59 PM »
 :o
Hi
Forgot to say that there were some split cups for Leslie in my last post!
A few intermediate sized cyclamineus hybrids.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2014, 12:48:42 PM »
Yes Maggi I do have a collection number for Narcissus varduliensis 0707.600, I will also have a picture of Narcissus readinganorum in a few days not quite out yet and it is from Archibald seed Number 0704.900. Thank you Snipe is one of my favourites too.

Yay, excellent! Thanks!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

vivienne Condon

« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2014, 03:13:25 AM »
Narcissus readinganorum Archibald seed 0704.900 as you can see some variation in the flower structure and height . Im not sure which is the correct one

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2014, 09:34:30 AM »
Graham, I really like the 6y wyy (with spider, mainly on account of its gree :)ny colour. Is it really or is this just a photograph thing? Green flowers are always a hit with me (unlike most splits and doubles ;D).

Also like nos 2 and 4 in replies 98 and 107. These rather elongated forms are really elegant I think and different from what's around already.

A warm welcome to the Forum Vivienne. Pleased you could no longer resist. :) Doubtless Fermi and Otto were nagging at you to get in there. ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:41:46 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2014, 12:34:23 PM »
Narcissus readinganorum Archibald seed 0704.900 as you can see some variation in the flower structure and height . I'm not sure which is the correct one

Narcissus radinganorum Fern.Casas is a synonym of Narcissus hispanicus Gouan - according to the Kew Plant List.

John Forrest showed plants grown from seed collected by Margaret and Henry Taylor,http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=307.msg7114#msg7114   and here :
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=1195.msg34477#msg34477 - you'll see form other posts that the name is, as is often the case, mildly disputed!
 and Tony Goode shows one here :
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=307.msg7316#msg7316
Luc S shows it :
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=4766.msg143330#msg143330

and there's a nice photo here from Spain:
http://www.florasilvestre.es/mediterranea/Amaryllidaceae/Narcissus_radinganorum.htm  so it looks as though the littler chap in the centre of your pic is the one.  :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 12:37:58 PM by Maggi Young »

vivienne Condon

« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2014, 10:10:56 PM »
Thank you Maggi for all of that helpful information, I think 2 are very different and will have to separate them.
Lesley Hello to you to, I have more time now since we have left our last garden no more 5 to 6 hours of mowing lawns every week.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2014, 11:28:08 PM »
My goodness, Vivienne, you won't know what to do with yourself without all that grass to tend - you must feel liberated!

Lots of people moving house these days- jolly hard work it is too, eh?

Mini-daffs

« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2014, 12:47:36 PM »
 ;D
Hi
Lesley, if you grow enough seedlings you get quite a deal of variety and one of things you do get is some green. Out of the seedling photos I have posted the one with the most green is the Div 7 with N. dubius in its parentage. The colour in my photos is pretty good. It is pink that is the most difficult to capture properly.
The long elegant trumpets come from using our form of N. cyclamineus and trumpet parents. Unfortunately it is not a good way of breeding good miniatures as the trumpets are too long. Most of our standards that flower around the same time as N. cyclamineus are early trumpets so we use them but it does not result in a short compact cup or trumpet. The right technique is to cross N. cyclamineus with N. asturiensis and then cross with a large cup rather than a trumpet.
Long elegant trumpets with somewhat spidery petals are not the preferred form for exhibition Div 6's where the preference is for more of a short straight trumpet with swept back overlapping petals. The shortness of the cup tends to more pronounced in relation to miniatures so the flower measures less than 50mm.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2014, 11:34:54 PM »
Here's another KB hoop petticoat -it's labelled KS-BH 1-02 and I've written "cream hoop"
 on the label but it's a 10-W-Y so I'm not sure why I've put that on the label!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Mini-daffs

« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2014, 11:34:35 AM »
 ;D
Hi Fermi
It looks big. What is its diameter?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal