We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop events 2015  (Read 42671 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Snowdrop events 2015
« Reply #285 on: April 11, 2015, 02:29:01 PM »
Is it just me or would others rather not see exposed lattice pots? When mine were in lattice pots the pots were about a fingers depth under ground

I think they both look better when sunk deeper and I believe it is better for the bulbs- since most lattice pots are not very deep, failure to sink them might mean the bulbs are at a greater height  than the bulbs would  enjoy.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #286 on: April 13, 2015, 06:18:24 AM »
I want my lattice pots to stop burrowing insects getting in and eating my bulbs.  I don't know if this works but it clearly will not work if the pot is more than a few mm below the surface.  I plant to three times the depth of the bulb so a larger bulb requires a larger lattice pot. 
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #287 on: April 13, 2015, 09:57:08 AM »
Not too sure how the depth of a lattice pot will stop a "burrowing  insect" , Alan?  I think such critters can find and damage bulbs whether they are  in the open  ground or in a pot above or below ground  :-\

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #288 on: April 13, 2015, 04:55:44 PM »
Not too sure how the depth of a lattice pot will stop a "burrowing  insect" , Alan? ...

My thinking is that at some point the insect gets too fat to pass between the holes in the lattice.  These are 2x2 mm or smaller in the pots I use and the typical well-fed swift moth larva I find would not pass comfortably through.  So they are either trapped inside or outside the pot or they have to come to the surface and risk being spotted and eaten by a predator - provided the top of the pot is at or only just below the soil surface.  Hopefully this means that if they start outside the pot they will be discouraged from entering and go elsewhere.

Since I started using lattice pots 3 years ago the contents of one pot vanished completely over the summer (no bulbs or insects when lifted) but I have not observed any other losses.  That's a good rate of attrition by my standards.  I had no losses of snowdrops from 30 lattice pots in beds from 2014 to 2015.  However most of these were in beds which were covered with a fine insect mesh netting from the end of May to the end of August last summer so that might be the key to my success.       
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #289 on: April 13, 2015, 06:08:58 PM »
My money is on the efficacy of your netting, Alan - it's good to know there's something that can help.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #290 on: April 13, 2015, 09:32:35 PM »
Mine too, Maggi, but I'm using belt, braces, string and anything else I can find.  Netting is a viable solution for a raised bed not used in summer but  cannot be applied to the whole garden.
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #291 on: August 22, 2015, 04:54:11 PM »
I don't know if this constitutes a snowdrop event but it is the Mid Anglia Bulb Sale tomorrow (23rd August).  Details are here: http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/groups/Mid-Anglia/programme/  .  Snowdrop bulbs will be on sale there without a doubt.

Also, Blacksmiths Cottage Nursery have an Autumn Snowdrop Day scheduled for 10th October http://www.blackcottnursery.co.uk/autumn_snowdrop.html
Almost in Scotland.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #292 on: August 23, 2015, 07:56:21 PM »
Two photos from a lovely . Was nice to see so many friendly faces . See you again soon I guess  ;D
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #293 on: August 23, 2015, 08:28:07 PM »
Glad you got there, Emma! 
Some more photos  here  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=12708.msg339560#msg339560

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #294 on: September 25, 2015, 05:06:52 PM »

Also, Blacksmiths Cottage Nursery have an Autumn Snowdrop Day scheduled for 10th October http://www.blackcottnursery.co.uk/autumn_snowdrop.html

A note from Ben Potterton and Blacksmith's Cottage :
 " Blacksmiths Cottage Nursery
We have now reserved 1/2 of the tickets for our Autumn Snowdrop Lecture by Joe Sharman on Saturday 10th October. You can still book and pay for some via our website or telephone the nursery on 01379 741136.
The garden should also be full of colour with plenty of Aster, Helianthus, Persicaria, Salvia and Vernonias. "

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal