We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Roscoeas  (Read 678 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Roscoeas
« on: July 27, 2014, 12:49:42 PM »
I've just collected seeds from my Roscoea caut. early form. Its amazing how the pods stay green and simply burst open

How and when do I sow the seeds?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Growild

• Growild Nursery
Re: Roscoeas
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 01:15:42 PM »
Hi Mark

Yes, you have to be extra vigilant if you want to save seeds from Roscoea! When the pods look fully developed (fat but still green) I tend to pop a small plastic zip lock bag over the pods to catch them. I sow autumn time in coir with perlite added, top the pot with grit and place in a cold frame or cold greenhouse overwinter - they always come up late spring.  I tend to leave them in their pots until the seedlings are totally dormant and transplant in autumn.

Good luck!
Lisa

www.growildnursery.co.uk
www.facebook.com/growildnurseryuk

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Re: Roscoeas
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 07:05:43 AM »
I've got two different roscoeas, one from a friend who got it from Chen Yi, the other that I've had a long time, and I think I got it from the National Collection Holder.  Both have mauve flowers. 

This second must have an ovary well down the growing stem.  The other one has seed pods that are much closer to the top of the stem.  Does anyone know if this characteristic of growing half way down the growing stem is typical for Roscoea australis by any chance?  It would help to I'd it so I can donate seeds correctly named.  Otherwise I'll just have to label them sp. 

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal