We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iznik ??  (Read 849 times)

hwscot

Iznik ??
« on: July 31, 2014, 01:24:33 PM »
I have a friend who has recently purchased a fruit farm near Iznik, and I have an open invitation to visit .. which I hope I may be able to do sometime in spring 2015. I am still very much a novice, but aware that Anatolia generally is very rich territory, and I thought it would be sensible to see if there might be things I could try and see in flower without having to travel too far from Iznik. Is there a suitable flora I could try and find a copy of, or are there things on particular genera I might usefully look at? I have Janis' book on Crocus but nothing really comparable for other genera. I have some flexibility on dates, so potentially Galanthus onwards for flowering times, if anyone could offer any guidance.
Harry
Montrose
You can take the lad out of Leeds, but you can't ..

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
Re: Iznik ??
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 01:47:31 PM »
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 08:17:47 AM »
I have been here many times and although I cannot recommend a book what I can say is you need to take a trip up Ulu Dag which is an easy mountain with an excellent road to the ski resort.

There are flowers all the way up, in particular in early May, when there are wonderful displays of crocuses.

Also if you drive out towards Kutahya there are wonderful limestone pavements covered in irises muscari and lots of other plants.

Not forgetting Iznik itself which was the centre of Ottoman tile making exported all over the Muslim world  for several centuries and has a very interesting museum.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:46:04 AM by Tony Willis »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

hwscot

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 10:53:20 PM »
This is the best

Roland

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0852244940/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Thanks, Roland .. slightly expensive for me but I will see if I can get lucky with a secondhand find.
Harry
Montrose

hwscot

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:07:20 PM »
I have been here many times and although I cannot recommend a book what I can say is you need to take a trip up Ulu Dag which is an easy mountain with an excellent road to the ski resort.

There are flowers all the way up, in particular in early May, when there are wonderful displays of crocuses.

Also if you drive out towards Kutahya there are wonderful limestone pavements covered in irises muscari and lots of other plants.

Not forgetting Iznik itself which was the centre of Ottoman tile making exported all over the Muslim world  for several centuries and has a very interesting museum.

Cheers, Tony .. Ulu Dag sounds good. I will look into Kutahya too.
Harry
Montrose

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal