We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Propagating Cardamine pratensis  (Read 385 times)

Redmires

Propagating Cardamine pratensis
« on: June 27, 2023, 04:15:37 PM »
Not seedy stuff, but I couldn't see anywhere more suitable and thought the information might be of interest to others.

I learned that it is possible to propagate Cardamine pratensis from leaf cuttings (like Begonias and Streptocarpus). The seeds are described as small and difficult to collect, so this is the recommended method. You just collect leaves, lay them on damp compost ensuring good contact, cover to keep the atmosphere humid and wait 2-3 weeks.

I was a bit sceptical, but I've got some tiny shoots emerging, so apparently it does. No roots visible, unlike in the photos I've seen posted online, but I presume they're there and don't want to disturb things to investigate. This website has several photos, it suggests using basal leaves, but that doesn't seem to be essential - I've got shoots from the narrower leaves further up the stem. Another website also has a photo showing success with stem leaves and gives a bit more background on 'leaf vivipary', including the information that floating the leaves on water should also work.

I've no idea whether this method works with other Cardamine species.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Propagating Cardamine pratensis
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 05:43:42 PM »
Interesting - and worth trying.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

partisangardener

• Luther Art
Re: Propagating Cardamine pratensis
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 06:20:51 PM »
Interesting discovery.
I see sometimes interesting color or flower forms here in the meadows. Until the seeds are ripe I won`t find it again or they are already hay.
On my hydroponic devices it should be not  too difficult to get them to root. There optimum conditions are kept without variation or much maintenance.
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal