We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Roscoea Evening Star v Harvington Royale  (Read 2002 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Roscoea Evening Star v Harvington Royale
« on: June 25, 2014, 02:47:35 PM »
Does anyone know the difference between Roscoea 'Evening Star', left, and 'Harvington Royale', right,? I've email Twelve Nuns, the supplier, to ask but no reply
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Roma

Re: Roscoea Evening Star v Harvington Royale
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 08:11:50 PM »
I have not  grown 'Harvington Royale' but my Roscoea 'Harvington Evening Star' seems to have a different white mark.  I got it from Hartside.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

latestart

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:50:15 PM »
I cannot help either because I have two Roscoea, both bought from Hartside and unfortunately the labels are illegible. You could look at the breeders  website. www.hughnunn.co.uk. They show both. To my untutored eye there does not seem to be a big difference but they do mention that one of them is inky black when it first opens. I noticed that, but put it down to the different growing conditions. I have noticed some variation between photos of one or other variety on websites showing just photos. I have quite a few seedlings of Roscoea from the seed ex. I'm wondering at what stage I should pot them on. I have just got my computer back and it is missing bits that would allow me to look at Ian Youngs  Bulb Blogs.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:56:41 PM »
Sorry to hear you've had computer problems - always a nightmare I know. If you're missing your Adobe Acrobat Reader for pdf then there's a free download link on the Bulb Log main page http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

If the seedlings are still quite young, we'd pot them on as a clump into a larger pot for a couple of years just to build them up - and hopefully keep them a but safer from passing slugs and snails.  If their are a lot odf seedlings then you could split the clump in two but not disturb them too much.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

latestart

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 08:50:51 AM »
Thank you Maggi,
I'm one of the semi computer literate millions and am very wary of adding anything to my computer without consulting my expert, son. I will download using your link. Thank you for the info on potting on my Roscoea. I have two pots of 12 and one with maybe 10. I expect to wait awhile to get flowering size bulbs but am happy to increase my stock this way. I find they like the conditions in my garden. 

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 05:14:50 PM »
Twelve Nunns never answered

The colour of the purple Roscoeas varies greatly depending on how long the flower is open and how much sunshine hits the flowers. My experience is they fade much too quickly when the sun shines
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »
Twelve Nunns never answered

........................My experience is they fade much too quickly when the sun shines

Agreed Mark, mine are all over now. Every year I decide to move them to somewhere where they would get more shade and every year I don't get round to it. I think once they go brown I will dig them out and replant them somewhere else.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal