We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: unknown shrub and how to save it  (Read 599 times)

wooden shoe

unknown shrub and how to save it
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:02:30 PM »
My father grows this shrub. It is in a poor state now. The rootbase is rotten at at least 2 cm below groundlevel. The plant has grown too tall and cannot stand straight without help. It has cracks in all stems.
What is it? I'm afraid the photos are not too good, it was raining at the time, but maybe someone can identify it.

And the second question is how to save it. It has seeds, so that is the obvious way, but as I don't even know the family I don't know the sowing regime.
The rootbase is too bad, so cutting it low will probably not save it. Can I take cuttings? How do I treat those?
Thank you,
Rob
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:24:34 AM by wooden shoe »
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

majallison

Re: unknown shrub and how to save it
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 09:10:27 PM »
Hebe odora? Hebe brachysiphon? Most hebes are very easy from softwood cuttings, probably the best way to replace your dying plant
Malcolm A.J. Allison, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
http://www.malcolmallisonplants.com/

wooden shoe

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:29:54 AM »
Thank you. Now I know the family name I have a clue how to save it. I think it is Hebe odora.  There does even exist a Hebe society. http://www.hebesoc.org/ I will try to find more info there. And I will try the soft cuttings.
Thanks,
Rob
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 09:02:49 AM »
I don't have green fingers when it comes to cuttings but in the past I have rooted Hebes just by chopping bits off and sticking them in the ground.
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 10:26:15 AM »
There does even exist a Hebe society. http://www.hebesoc.org/

A reminder to everyone that you can find many useful links to such places on the SRGC LINKS PAGES :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 04:11:11 AM »
Cuttings would be your best bet I think. Most hebes if  not pruned or trimmed, will grow from the tips, gradually leaving bare and quite ugly branching. To keep them bushy, prune yearly but keep a few cuttings going too as a backup. Most are easy enough to root in damp sand, in summer/autumn.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal