We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sternbergia 2008  (Read 38650 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: Sternbergia 2008
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2008, 02:17:06 PM »
Sternbergia sicula cv. ‘Arcadian Sun’.
This form derives from a collection (C529) made by Herbert & Molly Crook in 1966 in the Peloponnese. It differs from the John Marr, Dodona  form  - posted on 1st Sept. -  in several respects; most significantly, as can be seen in this photo, it usually has two flowers on each scape rather than one

Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2008, 06:00:15 PM »
‘Sternbergia lutea angustifolia’ (not a currently accepted name). From a collection (MS 753) made in Crete by Mike Salmon. Plants distributed under this name are thought to be natural hybrids between S. lutea & S. sicula.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2008, 06:38:35 PM »
Nice plant Gerry.  Does all material going under 'Sternbergia lutea angustifolia' derive from this particular collection do you know?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Gerry Webster

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2008, 09:36:01 PM »
Ashley - I don't really know but I doubt it. I have the impression that these hybrid forms are quite common in the wild.  Yes, it is a nice plant & my photo doesn't do it justice (as a rank amateur I find Sternbergias difficult to photograph)  but, unfortunately, it is virused, so its future is in doubt.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2008, 10:02:14 PM »
Gerry, the plant looks pretty good in the photo... is that the virused one?
You know, I am always keen to get rid of virused plants but I've been thinking about the fact that some plants seem to carry the virus without too much effect being seen to their health..... what about making a fine mexh cover for pots with "suspect" plants... very fine metal mesh, too small for aphids to pass through, fitted over pots to quarantine contents... one could still enjoy plant......anyone think this is a good idea?   Not sure if I'll run this past Ian any time soon......he gets anxious about such things :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2008, 12:12:30 AM »
Maggi - yes the photo is of the virused plant. Ironically, this is its best ever year as regards flowering - the flowers are a good 5cm in diameter. In earlier years the viral symptoms only showed in the leaves but this year they are  apparent in the flowers too. I'm very fond of this plant -  it is so vigorous & so attractive that my inclination is to keep it,  segregated in a different part of the garden perhaps. Maybe this is foolish? I would imagine that any mesh small enough to exclude aphids would also exclude light. Regular insecticide sprays perhaps? 

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2008, 08:51:38 AM »
Ashley - I don't really know but I doubt it. I have the impression that these hybrid forms are quite common in the wild. 

Is this not because they are just natural variations of one species, which they were considered to be for many years before a 'splitter'got hold of them
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gerry Webster

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2008, 09:20:57 AM »
Tony - You may well be right, but on the basis of my, admittedly very limited, experience I incline to the view of the 'splitters'. From a horticultural point of view the plants I grow as S. sicula  are quite distinct from those I grow as S. lutea. However, I've just recalled the situation with Bulbocodiums,  so perhaps, botanically, I should join the 'lumpers'? Incidentally, the RBG Kew  checklist regards 'sicula' as a subspecies of S. lutea.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:25:02 AM by Gerry Webster »

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2008, 10:09:38 AM »
I think the problem with plants in cultivation is that people tend to dig up the better looking ones or ones with obvious differences to the norm.I cynically do not believe that wonderful plants in cultivation miraculously appear spontaneously from a random pinch of seed from the wild. This was always still on a special form of the plant from the previous year having survived the ravages of winter.

There is a huge clump of sternbergia growing in the dirt outside the cemetery gates in Milas, Turkey.I am going in four weeks  and if in flower will take some pictures and make some very amateur observations.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gerry Webster

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2008, 01:01:47 PM »
Tony - I think you are probably correct. However,  I think it's useful (if nothing else) to make distinctions for horticultural purposes even where  there are no distinctions of botanical/taxonomic significance.
I look forward to seeing your pics from Milas - let's hope they are in flower.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2008, 11:46:24 AM »
Has anyone noticed a green stripe running down the petals of their Sternbergia sicula.  I took 3 photos of this occurence, but the lighting was not good so they are not as sharp as I would have liked.  With flash the stripe disappeared.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Gerry Webster

« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2008, 12:16:42 PM »
Art - I've just checked the one remaining flower on S. sicula & it has a faint green stripe. If memory serves it was more prominent on a second form, now finished. I think it's normal.

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2008, 02:06:48 PM »
Hi,

Just now I write on this post, because I would like to see my  plants to bloom, to can show them here.
I like very much these plants, but have no experience with them. All I know is from the bulbs I have, they start grow the leaves in autumn, but from to year to now, no signs of flowers. Sometimes I wonder if they are realy Sternbergia or another plant ::) The leaves are just like the S. lutea, but don's know more.
By now it should already be the time to flower here, wright? :'(

Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2008, 07:33:54 PM »
If it is any consolation Cris my Sternbergia lutea hasn't flowered yet either. :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2008, 07:44:43 PM »
Cris & David - Sternbergias need to be well-fed & to be kept hot & dry during the summer in order to flower well - probably hotter & drier than you think is good for them. In my garden S. lutea is later than other species. 

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal