We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 'Morgana'  (Read 3094 times)

Matt Bishop

• Matt Bishop - Snowdrops
'Morgana'
« on: July 18, 2014, 08:52:24 AM »
Several of us have noticed that 'Morgana' is being listed on ebay. Although not impossible, I've just contacted the seller to request the provenance of their material. Hopefully I will hear from them today. Either way, I'll post later.....

Best wishes,

Matt

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: 'Morgana'
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 08:55:37 AM »
Cheers Matt, having noticed it (and the price :o) I wondered why there was no photo.  Perhaps it was bought last year and there is a side bulb.  Whichever I guess we, the buying public, shall have to wait for the price to drop drastically before this lovely drop is in our collections :-\
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Matt Bishop

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »
I've just heard from the seller that their stock was from one of those sold back in the spring.

Best wishes,

Matt

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 07:41:28 AM »
But they would say that, wouldn't they?  Do you know or believe that the seller is someone who bought 'Morgana' this spring?
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 08:32:12 AM »
The sad thing is that, if this is indeed the case, it was obviously bought with the intention of making money from it.  The price was therefore artificially exaggerated and put well beyond the likes of ordinary collectors with limited budgets like us.  Having done that they are now trying to recoup the money they spent.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 08:55:06 AM »
The current seller is 'compucat67' and claims to have bought the specimen from a user called 'bitarla' who is shown on Ebay as having sold seven(7) of this variety in February.

Presumably there are members who therefore must know who 'bitarla' is and whether they are genuine? Tp possess seven would make it likely that they would be known to possess it.

My husband who did some sleuthing with Maggie and Emma in February, tells me that one of 'bitarla's' followers was 'abbey2468' who also sold 'rare' specimens who when challenged, withdrew one and vanished!

It should also be remembered that 'ember-danny' who also had to withdraw offerings, changed his name to 'sheridan2014' and who has since ceased being an Ebay member under both names also had a German connection!

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 09:45:07 AM »
Almost in Scotland.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 09:55:51 AM »
Nice job Alan, it should be very easy for somebody to contact Byfield and establish whether he is aware of the latest 'sale' and if it is legitimate.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
This will be worth following up as an individual who was following Andy Byfield (therefore would be aware of new and valuable snowdrops name by) withdrew other rare drops when challenged!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 10:56:55 AM »
Legitimate sellers, like Andy Byfield or Matt Bishop  cannot  prevent being followed by anyone, dodgy or otherwise.
Not sure that any seller will appreciate being asked to reveal details of who bought stuff - or that buyers would like this either - the whole scene is a tricky one.  :-X

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 04:25:18 PM »
As a very very occasional ebay seller myself, I would not reveal the personal details of anyone I sold to but I wouldn't have any qualms about revealing whether an ebay seller who claimed to have bought something from me really had or had not.  However, unless somebody is seriously considering buying the 'Morgana' currently on sale, this is all a bit academic.  If you are, it is perfectly possible to contact 'bitarla' through ebay.   
Almost in Scotland.

Matt Bishop

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 05:01:13 PM »
Sorry, Just to clarify quickly the seller is one of my customers, and I believe that the item she is selling is genuine.

M

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 03:55:29 AM »
OH, SO IT'S A SNOWDROP. WONDER WHY THAT DOESN'T SURPRISE ME!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 07:26:41 AM »
You should not be surprised, Lesley.  Ebay does not permit the sale of women; named 'Morgana' or otherwise.
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal