We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ranzania  (Read 5898 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Ranzania
« on: July 06, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »
The berries are white and getting puffy to the touch, is it time to collect & sow them?

johnw
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:46:39 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Ranzania
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:58:39 AM »
Oh John, you know I wouldn't beg, especially not down on my arthritic knees, but if you possibly had even one seed to spare.......Pretty Please?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ulla Hansson

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »
Lesley, I have sent a PM to you.
Ulla
Ulla Hansson 45 kilometers east of Gothenburg

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 07:24:17 AM »
Dear Ulla ,
   may I come begging too after Lesley   (I too have arthritic knees and hips  :() . I have been trying to germinate Ranzania  from various seed lists for the last 20 years but without success as seed was not fresh . As our Plant Quarantine is very strict : you will have to take the seeds out of the capsule , wash and dry it and pack in a little plastic bag ,  NO packing material in in the seedbag please.

Here it is winter with lots of Crocus species , reticulate Irises ,Cyclamen and thousands of Galanthus  ( some 80 species and cultivars )in flower .

my address in case you can spare a few seeds ; Otto Fauser ,  7 Bella Vista Crescent , Olinda ,VIC 3788 , Australia .

with warm regards ,
                                                                      Otto.

johnw
[/quote]
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:26:34 AM by Otto Fauser »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 10:20:50 AM »
Very nice plant!

Ralph (Osteoarthritis both knees!)
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

johnw

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 01:10:57 PM »
Seeds on the way Otto.

johnw

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 04:57:11 AM »
Oh Otto - and Ralph. Is your arthritis worse than my arthritis? ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Stephen Vella

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 04:16:07 AM »
Good thing I don't have arthritic knees or hips as my one and only Ranzania grows😁. Just a little tip on growing these seedling is DO NOT TEASE the young roots apart!! I lost my first batch of 30 that way. The second lot I simply planted the seed pot into its permanent position in its second year. I found they are hardy to the Aussie heat once they get growing which I was surprised😀 good luck
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 04:40:06 AM »
Just a little tip on growing these seedling is DO NOT TEASE the young roots apart!! I lost my first batch of 30 that way.

I just did that last week end with the seven seedlings that had germinated in March. I hope they won't die now!!
Leena from south of Finland

johnw

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 03:44:38 PM »
These plug flats are ideal for the temperamental young Ranzanias.  The youngsters are easily removed without root damage as the cell taper is not too sharp.  72 cells per flat.

johnw
18c & very humid
torrential rains last night

Stephen Vella

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »
Hi John .. Have you found that they can be temperamental? I'm wondering how adult plants would handle being divided when very large? Related to the Berberis  family and like epimediums you would think they would be able to handle this treatment.
Cheers
Stephen

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »
Oh Stephen, I'm just dreaming about how great it would be to have a Ranzania big enough to worry about splitting it up! ::) ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 12:35:08 AM »
Stephen  - I have no idea if Ranzania is difficult to divivde.   Seems as mentioned here youngsters are temperamental.  Taking no chances on that I sowed seed instead.

johnw

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 04:56:21 AM »
. Just a little tip on growing these seedling is DO NOT TEASE the young roots apart!! I lost my first batch of 30 that way. The second lot I simply planted the seed pot into its permanent position in its second year. I found they are hardy to the Aussie heat once they get growing which I was surprised😀 good luck

I just did that last week end with the seven seedlings that had germinated in March. I hope they won't die now!!

Sad to say you were right Stephen  :'(, now only two of my precious seedlings are alive, the rest have disappeared and the even the two are not looking good. I should not have pricked them out this time of year. >:( And new fresh seeds are so difficult to come by.
Leena from south of Finland

Stephen Vella

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 10:22:03 PM »
Leena sorry to hear.. Pricking out anytime I don't think they like it at all as I had been careful and thought I was doing the right thing in autumn..

Maggi if you want to see a big clump apparently I was told there's one at kew bot' gardens..1 meter square..wow I thought..so go for a look see.. In their woodland section
So I guess clumps are hard to come by?

And thanks john.. Seeds are easy to germinate if they're fresh
Leena let's hope I get seed I will think of u
Cheers
Stephen

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal