We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula- January 2008  (Read 11195 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Primula- January 2008
« on: January 14, 2008, 07:18:32 PM »
A few pictures from the greenhouse today.

The first is Primula x juliana Bergfruhling Red which was originally a strain developed from Jellito seed. My plant is now two years old and was grown from seed purchased from Fiedlhouse Alpines. It was the only seedling left worth saving from a batch the window cleaner managed to knock over and then walked over them with his size 12's. I notice that I posted a picture of the same plant on 22 February last year.

The second is a blue Cowichan Polyanthus I grew from Barnhaven seed sown on 19 February last year, and the third is a red Cowichan from the same source. Although I have grown better plants these are significantly better than the ones I have in the garden which are looking very weather beaten.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Primula- January 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 07:26:22 PM »
That red cowichan looks like silk !
Nice batch David
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 10:19:54 PM »
A few pictures from the greenhouse today.

The first is Primula x juliana Bergfruhling Red which was originally a strain developed from Jellito seed. My plant is now two years old and was grown from seed purchased from Fiedlhouse Alpines. It was the only seedling left worth saving from a batch the window cleaner managed to knock over and then walked over them with his size 12's. I notice that I posted a picture of the same plant on 22 February last year.

David, that's a nice type of the juliae hybrids. But I think once planted out in the garden after a few years you will have a different plant through self-seeding. The only remedy will be at least every two years to divide them and shake the seedlings out.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »

David, that's a nice type of the juliae hybrids. But I think once planted out in the garden after a few years you will have a different plant through self-seeding. The only remedy will be at least every two years to divide them and shake the seedlings out.

Luit, I don't think it is worth the hassle really. The self sown seedlings might be interesting in any case, but the original seed is cheap enough for me to grow a new stock every year.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 12:18:20 PM »
Sorry David, I was speaking as a perennial plantsman ;)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 12:24:29 PM »
I was speaking as a perennial plantsman
As I hope you ARE indeed, Luit! :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 12:50:39 PM »
Here is Primula megaseifolia from the Pontus range, Turkey. This species has a very long flowering periode, sometimes beginning at the end of October and ending in March.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 01:41:39 PM »
Sorry David, I was speaking as a perennial plantsman ;)

Hi Luit, I appreciate that. My problem is always keeping garden Primulas healthy through the Summer months (when we get a Summer!!). They all, apart from P.vulgaris, suffer very badly.

Nice P. megaseifolia Gerd.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 04:41:17 PM »
 :-* Oh Maggi  mmm.

That'a nice Prim. Gerd, I never tried it because it would not like our soil.

Gerdk

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 07:58:27 PM »
That'a nice Prim. Gerd, I never tried it because it would not like our soil.

Luit,
This species is not difficult when protected from severe frost. It loves a peaty soil, is this a problem in your part of the Netherlands?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 08:14:21 PM »
Gerd is nice to find you on the forum which I have just joined. We visited you in 1986 just after Chernobyl on our way to see Dieter Zschummel. You had some really good plants then. Your primula is very interesting.I have looked for it in the Pontus but not been able to find it
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 08:55:03 PM »
Luit,
This species is not difficult when protected from severe frost. It loves a peaty soil, is this a problem in your part of the Netherlands? Gerd

Gerd,
Our soil is very useful for Hyacinths, and they don't like peat for growing longer than a few months.

Gerdk

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 09:47:29 AM »
Gerd is nice to find you on the forum which I have just joined. We visited you in 1986 just after Chernobyl on our way to see Dieter Zschummel. You had some really good plants then. Your primula is very interesting.I have looked for it in the Pontus but not been able to find it

Tony,
Nice to meet you here.
Yes, I remember now. Sometimes the world is very small. I am a little bit surprised because of your special liking for crocus - so I wasn't sure about your identity.
I did not find  Primula megaseifolia in the Pontus range too. Unfortunately my plant is
thrum.....? (missed the word), which means stamens shorter than style and so there is no seedset until I have the pin....? form.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 09:53:40 AM »
thrum.....? (missed the word),
No, Gerd, you have missed no word   8)... it is correct to say  "thrum" and "pin"... sometimes it is written for pin .. "pin-eyed" for  thrum .. "thrum-eyed" but this is not neccessary.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 01:20:39 PM »
Sorry, I must ask this, only for my learning:
until now I knew conversely: thrum-flowered means stamens longer than style, and pin-flowered means stamens shorter then style. Which is the truth, please? ::) ???
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal