We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Nothofagus spp. & Aeonium sp. germination  (Read 678 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Nothofagus spp. & Aeonium sp. germination
« on: June 18, 2014, 06:08:18 PM »
Monday I received Nothofagus antarctica, N. betuloides and N. alpina seed.  Presumbly they were collected in the southern hemisphere recently, their autumn.  I intend to stratify them in the fridge asap in damp green live sphagnum in a plastic bag until late November or early December.  Is this the correct treatment or do some not require stratification?

On Tuesday the Canary Island Aeonium spp. seed arrived and I presume I can sow them as I do cactus - under lights, gritty mix, surface sow, de-bag immediately after germination (days? weeks?), get into sun gradually and water only when somewhat dry.  Is this correct?

Thanks

johnw - +13c
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:27:51 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Nothofagus spp. & Aeonium sp. germination
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:20:44 PM »
I promptly stratified those Nothofagus seed in live green moist sphagnum and placed them in the refrigerator.  A few had roots by mid December and were potted up shorttly thereafter.  Only one betuloides, no antarctica (yet) and several alpinas.  The latter I find out may in fact not be a synonym for a small-leafed procera but a presumed natural cross of procera and pumilio.  Any cultivational tips on the betuloides would be greatly appreciated.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal