We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus January 2008  (Read 30330 times)

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
Re: Narcissus January 2008
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 01:07:20 AM »
Hello,

This is Narcissus muñozii-garmendiae growing at 1060m
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:16:52 PM by Rafa »

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 08:13:34 AM »
Rafa,
Qué bonita! First pic of a  daffodil in its native environment for 2008.
Thank you!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 08:39:16 AM »
Hello,  This is Narcissus muñozii-garmendiae growing at 1060m

Blanchard uses the name Narcissus muñozii-garmendiae for what we now called Narcissus x susannae (triandrus x cantabricus).  Has this changed?

Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Rafa

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 10:45:24 AM »
Thank you!

Narcissus muñozii-garmediae has been named many times as Narcissus hispanicus, Narcissus pseudonarcissus etc.., but always in his section Pseudonarcissus.

Narcissus x susannae is now changed to Narcissus x litigiosus del Amo, who previously named this crosses between N. cantabricus and N. triandrus ssp. pallidulus. Botanist have descrived some variants: N. x litigiosus var. toletanus / N. x litigiosus var. granatensis/ N. x litigiosus var. montelianus.... maybe more.

This species N. muñozii-garmendiae is micro-endemic from Sierra Madrona, in Ciudad Real province (Castilla la Mancha Region). This year I will try again to collect seeds, but there are so many deers, roe deer, mountain goats, wild board that usually eat all the capsules.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 04:30:37 PM by Rafa »

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 06:11:21 PM »
You're a real star Rafa. 8) What a lovely wee narcissus. :)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 12:11:24 AM »
Hello Rafa,

thanks for your explanations - interesting. I have a cultivar called "N. pseudonarcissus hispanicus" in my garden but I was told the origin of this species is totally unclear... Another source said it is an very old cultivar from the middle age... Another one it is probably a selection of pseudonacissus...
Best wishes
Armin

Rafa

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »
Hello,

Some pics of Narcissus x litigiosus (old Narcissus x susannae) from my friend Gerd
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 12:17:35 AM by Rafa »

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 03:45:27 PM »
First Narcissus for me.
Narcissus romieuxii 'Julia Jane'
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 04:03:27 PM »
Lovely to see some Narcissus this year, especially Rafa's in the wild. I have 3 pots in flower in the alpine house but the weather is too dismal to take a decent picture.
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 11:31:59 PM »
Thank you Raf for these pics which make me dream
do

Pontoux France

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 07:54:42 PM »
Narcissus x susannae is now changed to Narcissus x litigiosus del Amo, who previously named this crosses between N. cantabricus and N. triandrus ssp. pallidulus. Botanist have descrived some variants: N. x litigiosus var. toletanus / N. x litigiosus var. granatensis/ N. x litigiosus var. montelianus.... maybe more.

Thanks, Rafa for explaining this change in naming.  And thanks for showing a picture of N x litigiosus.  Is this plant in the wild or cultivation?  It shows more influence from N cantabricus than triandrus.  Does N x litigiosus describe all hybrids of N cantabricus and any triandrus or just with triandrus ssp pallidulus.  Do you know the difference between the variants you name?  Are they from different areas or showing different morphological features?  This is one of my all time favourite plants and one I try to create but I do not find I get N cantabricus and triandrus to flower at the same time.   
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Rafa

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 09:44:21 PM »
Thanks to all

Diane,

This plant is a cultivated plant, Gerd gave me some bulbs last year. In some days I will post pictures from about 8 Narcissus growing together in the same place including N x litigiosus. Normally (I think) Narcissus cantabricus is the receptor in that hybridation maybe this can explain the percentage in characters. But in the case of var toletanus is a variant is more close to N. triandrus subsp. pallidulus:

"Narcissus x susannae Fernández Casas nm. toletanus Fernández Casas & Luceño, nm. nov.
(N. cantabricus x N. pallidulus). A N. susannae typico, flore reflexo luteolento cuque
estigmate exerto, praecipue differt."

All Narcissus x litigiosus are hibrids between N. cantabricus and N. triandrus ssp. pallidulus, and I think all those variants tell us the forms that occurs in that areas with different genetic percentages.

For example, Narcissus x litigiosus var. granatensis was considered by some authors as a Narcissus graellsii var. granatensis, and this could done an idea of how different could be classic N. x litigiosus deppending the genetic percentage in the hybridation.

Maybe you can dry the pollen and keep in the fridge to make crosses?

Note I saw some articles and Narcissus x sussanae var. montielanus is now considered as Narcissus x montielanus (N. blancoi x N. triandrus subsp. pallidulus)
Narcissus x montielanus = Narcissus x cazorlanus (N. hedraeanthus x N. triandrus ssp. pallidulus)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 06:28:06 PM by Rafa »

Michael

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 09:56:52 PM »
Uau! Very nice shots of Narcissus!
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 10:45:35 PM »
Narcissus 'December Gold' is nearly past its best now.  It WAS in flower during December - honest!  This is a 'new' names form, I don't know if the name has been registered ..... now who can check that for me (you know who you are!!)

It's a beauty, with really good golden yellow flowers, not as intense as the N bulbocodiums of spring but better than most of the so-called yellows of the winter brigade.  Very close in colour to N 'Atlas Gold' but twicw the size and seems vigorous.

Form an orderly queue please :) :)

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 11:07:47 PM »
Tony I would like to be first in the queue  :o
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal