We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris reticulata and forms 2008  (Read 72441 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Iris reticulata and forms
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 09:33:28 PM »
Now I am worried about mine not showing yet.
Don't panic, David, sit down and have some wensleydale and cake... you know it makes sense.

Can't do with cheese at this time of night Maggi (it's an age and digestion thing!) BUT I am popping out for a quick pint. Night Night
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 06:02:51 PM »
my first Iris reticulata in this year,
a form from Iran, growing in higher altitute ( around 2300m )
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 09:10:12 PM »
That is a pretty one, Dirk.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 11:31:34 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »
Nice day today with a bit of sunshine for a change, and chance to take a few pix.

The first couple showing Iris reticulata J S Dijt in the bulb bed-I like the nice strong colour. The third is I. retic. Pauline, again a nice strong colour, brought into the greenhouse a couple of weeks ago. The final ones are Katharine Hodgkin, again brought into the greenhouse a couple of weeks ago and about a week in front of those in the bulb bed. I always find her colour a bit wishy-washy, maybe I don't grow her well!!

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 11:32:44 PM »
I always find her colour a bit wishy-washy, maybe I don't grow her well!!

No, David, bless her, she always looks like that!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 08:20:45 AM »
I wouldn't call her wishy-washy David - maybe "modest" sounds better  ;)

Anyway, wishwashy would be better than tatty...  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2008, 09:40:31 AM »
OK Luc, I will go for 'modest' ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 11:50:53 AM »
this is a tiny reticulata collected in Iran by JJMZ and I wonder if it is the same collection as Dirks
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2008, 12:25:03 PM »
this is a tiny reticulata collected in Iran by JJMZ and I wonder if it is the same collection as Dirks

Did you grow it from seed Tony, and is the seed available in the market place?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2008, 01:46:57 PM »
Dry again today (two days running-this must be a record!) so a chance to take a couple more pictures.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2008, 12:25:34 AM »
Now there is a coincidence...... this week I ordered mail order an iris retic called 'Edward', never having heard of one by that name before anywhere in my travels.  And here we have a picture provided by David.  Thanks for anticipating my need to find out what it was like.  Looks rather similar to some other varieties doesn't it?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2008, 09:41:12 AM »
Now there is a coincidence...... this week I ordered mail order an iris retic called 'Edward', never having heard of one by that name before anywhere in my travels.  And here we have a picture provided by David.  Thanks for anticipating my need to find out what it was like.  Looks rather similar to some other varieties doesn't it?

Paul, it's just a gift I have, should have been a fortune teller ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2008, 12:02:06 PM »
Ah, but if you really WERE supposed to be a fortune teller then you would have KNOWN that and become one.  The fact that you didn't means that you didn't know for sure that you should have been, so therefore you couldn't have.  Clear as mud now?

Thanks for the excellent timing of the pic, regardless of fortune teller possibilities or not!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2008, 07:07:34 PM »
Paul, I'm different though. I'm a procrastinating fortune teller 8)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2008, 10:14:49 PM »
David - Cantab should be 'Cambridge Blue' ie light blue ... your pics appear to be more Oxford than Cambridge. Perhaps it is just a trick of the light and the camera but it should be really quite pale, quite different to the other one you showed us in the same post.  Sadly although I once grew it I do not have a digi-pic to post.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal