We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gavilea raised from seeds in vitro  (Read 5861 times)

ichristie

• Former President
Re: Gavilea raised from seeds in vitro
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 05:07:59 PM »
Hi again, at last here are the pictures of Gavilea lutea from the Perito Morena glacier area also growing in the woods were hundreds of Codonorchis lessonii so a picture of these. I found out that all the books on native flora say that the common name for Codonorchis is the Dog orchid well this is WRONG some botanist got his wires crossed it is the DOVE orchid and I am sure you agree it looks like a delicate white DOVE. I have nothing against dogs but this very beautiful orchid deserves to be recognised. DOVE orchid. Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 05:14:08 PM »
Hi again, I am sure you have seen that even I can get the names wrong quite often in fact, old age must be creeping up on me. The last picture of the Codonorchis has a wrong name beside the picture, keeps you all alert ;D Ian the Christie kind
from Kirriemuir

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 05:27:30 PM »
President Ian,
Two points: firstly, thanks for the trifle, I'll give the plate back in Dunblane... ;D

second : What wonderful orchids, especially those of the Dove variety... do they have a nice perfume?
I expectthat the "Dog" reference was just a typo which was not picked up in proof reading and has been passed on in error. :P

It is so exciting to see these, and indeed any flower, growing in such large and healthy stands.... long may they thrive!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 07:25:19 PM »
Hi Maggie, thanks for message, I was dissapointed that you could not collect the trifle yourself, I hope you are now well, hale and hearty. The Dove orchis grew in just about every location we visited in woodland at sea level to high mountain scrub very nice smell but not powerful. I am sure to get lots of flak about the name but I think the Dove orchid really suits this Codonorchis.  I add two pictures from Perito morena with Embothrium growing alongside the ice, evryone laughed when our guide said that the nickname for this was what most Americans would like to do FIREBUSH,  I also post Anarthrophyllum desideratum  just as a taste more  later cheers Ian the Christie kind
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 09:59:23 PM by Maggi Young »
from Kirriemuir

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 10:02:09 PM »
I'm very much better, thankyou  :)

What stunning scenery and how fabulous is that red gorse Anarthrophyllum desideratum ?
There are a few really good Embothriumin gardens I know, but I've yet to see anyone with a good plant of the red gorse.... we  grew a scrawny little one from seed once... it never flowered :'( :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 10:04:05 PM »
Ian, this pict. of Anathrophyllum desideratum is really fantastic!
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 10:24:30 PM »
Hi to all forumists, the pictures which I have from 'Wild Patagonia are going on this forum or main site somewhere in groups;  part one Stag River will come soon once our senior web master Ian Young gets home from a SHORT trip to New Zealand. Now this poor soul who has made this trip on a special mission for SRGC will need a few days to recover, I hope he arrives down under and says hello to all Scottish Rockers safe and well go gogettem Ian, cheers Ian the Christie kind
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:41:56 PM by Maggi Young »
from Kirriemuir

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 04:26:57 PM »
Ian, you're really making our waiting for more pix very hard indeed.
These "samples" are simply brilliant !  :o :o :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal