We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aeonium  (Read 6904 times)

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
Aeonium
« on: May 18, 2014, 10:38:30 PM »
Here are my two Aeonium plants, the smaller one is a cutting from the larger one at the back. I have them outside for the summer next to the conservatory doors, as you can see in the photos they are doing really well. I really like the dark to the leaves.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

SJW

Re: Aeonium
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:25:57 AM »
Is this the darkest clone, Aeonium arboreum var. atropurpureum 'Schwarzkopf'? Looks like it.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 02:23:04 PM »
I think it may be as well though I did order Aeonium 'Voodoo' a few weeks ago without knowing much about it.  It turned out to have a nice green eye.

Then I discovered San Marcos carries many more Aeoniums.  Try sorting them out at :

www.smgrowers.com

By the way I was recently told that one should only propagate these on the shortest day of the year. Is that true?  I beheaded mine just before reading that and a few tiny offsets have appeared for the first time ever.   However the side shoots I think may be rooted but the bigger tops are still wobbly.

johnw - +8c

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:26:46 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

André

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 03:16:27 PM »
They are winter growers, and love it under arond 10-15°C, they also like it wetter than most succulents so do'nt be afraid to water them (more than other succulents).  I guess they would respond well to be propagated during winter, but they are really careless so you can propagate them as long as there isn't really hot and dry.

I guess it can vary a bit between clones though.

edit: @ John
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:19:14 PM by André »

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 07:54:19 PM »
The larger plant fell over in the wind a few years back and a rosette fell off, I just potted it up and it took root. I'm not sure what variety it is I just liked the look of it when I saw it.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

johnw

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 12:23:32 PM »
It seems as if all the Aeonium cuttings have now rooted.

I am looking for seed of the big tight cabbage-headed Aeoniums, mainly ones from the Canary Islands.  Does anyone have them sorted out as there seems to be mass confusion.  Ones like A. urbicum, canariense (!), nobile (?), hierrense etc.  Any known sources of seed?

Suppose I could ask Panayoti who has been here giving talks since 25 May!  Lucky we are.  May be too hot in Denver for these Aeoniums though.

Brentwood Bay Nurseries (what lovely stock they have) kindly sent this surprise as a freebie knowing of my quest for these but they have no idea which it is.....pseudotabuliforme maybe???

johnw
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:28:10 PM by johnw »

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 12:57:54 PM »
Have you tried Rareplants John?  They list quite a few Canary Islands plants including aeoniums.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

johnw

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 03:44:35 PM »
I had a look at them recently, forgot the name and couldn't find them again so thanks.  Hopefully at least the canariense will be in stock as the others show it as NA including Kohres.

Thanks again Ashley.

johnw

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 04:44:27 PM »
John, all the ones you listed (except nobile) seem to be in stock.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 04:46:44 PM by ashley »

johnw

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 09:48:53 PM »
Ashley, thanks again. I landed enough seed to do the entire province.

Got these ones;

Aeonium canariense
Aeonium davidbramwellii
Aeonium glandulosum
Aeonium hierrense (El Hierro Giant Houseleek) Exclusive
Aeonium palmense (La Palma Giant Houseleek)

johnw

GordonT

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 12:30:32 AM »
John, have you looked at Surreal Succulents website?( www.surrealsucculents.co.uk )  They're in Cornwall UK, but I know of a certain local nursery person who is thinking about placing an order.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

johnw

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 01:37:33 AM »
John, have you looked at Surreal Succulents website?( www.surrealsucculents.co.uk )  They're in Cornwall UK, but I know of a certain local nursery person who is thinking about placing an order.

Not until now Gordon.  Lovely stuff and they ship at rather reasonable prices.  Seems odd many are American hybrids and we can't get many of them here.  May be a good thing as unfortunately we are getting overloaded - 3 of us have been collecting the good ones and we are nearly maxed out.

john

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 11:50:06 AM »
... and we are nearly maxed out.
;D ;D ;D
An utterly weird concept for many of us here I suspect (& maybe deserving a thread of its own ;)).

johnw

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 02:10:03 PM »
;D ;D ;D
An utterly weird concept for many of us here I suspect (& maybe deserving a thread of its own ;)).

Ashley

This greenhouse has been emptied of succulents by 80%, these have been planted out.  What you see is the 10% left on the west side, balance east photo 2.............another 40 or 50 at home. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:12:02 PM by johnw »

johnw

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 11:04:49 PM »
Ashley kindly recommended rareplants for Aeonium seed.  I ordered these in June and by July they were up and off to the races. : Aeonium canariense, Aeonium davidbramwellii, Aeonium glandulosum, Aeonium hierrense (El Hierro Giant Houseleek) Exclusive and Aeonium palmense (La Palma Giant Houseleek).   I expect they will grow even better during the autumn and winter months.  Thanks so much for that tip Ashley.

BTW on the subject of Aeonium arboreum var. atropurpureum 'Schwarzkopf' types, 'Voodoo' is to my mind superior with very wide leaves.

johnw
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:09:37 PM by johnw »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal