We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: How Hill Norfolk  (Read 1126 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
How Hill Norfolk
« on: May 07, 2014, 02:42:39 PM »
I have been prompted to share a few photos of the 'Secret Garden' at How Hill on the broads.  So called because it is well away from the house and the approach is through How Hill Woods (where the bluebells were looking fantastic).  Built by Edward Boardman as a holiday Cottage (!) the gardens were developed by the family in the Edwardian times, Peter Boardman, his grandson, lives next door and also has a super garden (his sister is Cecilia Coller so no surprise there).  First a picture of the house from the surrounding gardens below, the house is built on a Hill (there's a surprise) and is now a study centre, bought by Norfolk Education Committee, then Norwich Union and now it's How Hill Trust.
Then a view from the house over the surrounding gardens and a view from the gardens over to the windmill.

http://howhilltrust.org.uk/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:52:01 PM by Brian Ellis »
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: How Hill Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 02:44:09 PM »
Now the 'Secret Garden'

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 02:45:01 PM »
One for Maggi, and then another seat - this time made from reeds!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
Ooh, thank you ,Brian, I enjoyed that.  Either Fred has installed a scent programme on the quiet or I am getting better at conjuring up the scent from a photo.  :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 04:25:04 PM »
They are wonderful gardens Brian.  I was taken round several times as a boy in the late 1960s by my aunt.  I was enthralled by the Gunnera leaves which were, of course, several times larger than me at that time.  Come to think of it, that was probably where I gained my love of Gunnera, though mine do not grow anything like the size of those with their feet permanently in a peat bog.

I have recently had to sort through and throw out most of my aunt's sizeable 35mm slide collection, and I spent a wet Sunday recently skimming through many pictures of rhododendrons taken at How Hill.

My main recollection of visiting is of the heavy and overpowering scent of the yellow azaleas.  These brought on my hay-fever so badly during one visit that it turned into asthma and the incessant sneezing gave me a nosebleed.  How did I still manage to become a gardener?
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 05:10:58 PM »
They are wonderful gardens Brian.  I was taken round several times as a boy in the late 1960s by my aunt.  I was enthralled by the Gunnera leaves which were, of course, several times larger than me at that time.  Come to think of it, that was probably where I gained my love of Gunnera, though mine do not grow anything like the size of those with their feet permanently in a peat bog.

I have recently had to sort through and throw out most of my aunt's sizeable 35mm slide collection, and I spent a wet Sunday recently skimming through many pictures of rhododendrons taken at How Hill.

My main recollection of visiting is of the heavy and overpowering scent of the yellow azaleas.  These brought on my hay-fever so badly during one visit that it turned into asthma and the incessant sneezing gave me a nosebleed.  How did I still manage to become a gardener?

I'm glad to have brought your memories to life, and here are the gunnera - why is it I always have to photograph them I wonder?  Not quite so big as yet!

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »
Nice windmill Brian  :D 8)

And an interesting nice garden as well!
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 06:18:47 PM »
Many thanks Brian it's been added to my list.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

jomowi

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 09:26:17 PM »
My lasting childhood memory of How Hill was the profusion of swallowtail butterflies.  Are they still in residence?
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal