We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Podophyllum 2014  (Read 5158 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Podophyllum 2014
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2014, 12:01:12 PM »
Ashley - Aaron will probably post soon once he gets his feet back on the ground, he's just back from Arunachal.

The bin here has a few Podos in it as Aaron said he did see virus on aurantios in the wild and he thought that was virus on 3 plants here so out they went. 

Geo - the hybrids seem to vary as to flower placement......
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Geoforce

• Learning is Living
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2014, 12:31:19 PM »
John

Thanks for the last photo.  The flower seems to have longish segments approaching that of pleianthum, but the leaf seems more rough-edged like the versipelle.  How many seasons from seed to bloom?

Ashley

Segments on my pleianthum are about about 4  cm and loosely held like those shown in John's photo above.

George
George Forsythe, Pennsylvania, USA
"Learn something new everyday."

johnw

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2014, 03:50:55 PM »
George

If attended to they can grow frightfully fast. We have had some in 2 gal pots by June from a Nov sowing with flowering the next year. We are not so focused these days............... ;)

john

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2014, 04:48:05 PM »

If attended to they can grow frightfully fast. We have had some in 2 gal pots by June from a Nov sowing with flowering the next year.

Mercy! It's a wonder  your weren't done for speeding!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2014, 06:29:34 AM »
Indeed John that is really fast growing,A few times I have had a green leaved Podo species flowering in his third year but normally it takes 4 years (after sowing) before my Podos start flowering.

Photo 1: Flowers of Podo peltatum x pleianthum(pollen)
Photo 2  Podo delavayi x pleianthum
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

johnw

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2014, 01:58:05 PM »
Indeed John that is really fast growing,A few times I have had a green leaved Podo species flowering in his third year but normally it takes 4 years (after sowing) before my Podos start flowering.

Photo 1: Flowers of Podo peltatum x pleianthum(pollen)
Photo 2  Podo delavayi x pleianthum

Robin

Fast yes but we have no space for all those 2 gallons and the work making the mix was too much and too expensive (a 200km drive to get our precious 40 year old rotted bark in bags).  Sodium halides on all winter 12 hrs/ day.  We simply potted on the minute roots touched the outer edges, that's when we though we couldn't disturb the roots - no easier plant to move indoors year round.  We wouldn't have such problems if everyone of your seed didn't sprout! :o

Your del x plei looks great, are they all they short and compact.  Ours and Philip's tend to be higher which is hazardous in a windy climate like here.

john
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:05:03 PM by johnw »

Geoforce

• Learning is Living
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2014, 03:39:50 PM »
robin

Did you make the peltatum X pleianthum cross?  I've tried it several times with no success, but keep trying both ways every year.

Flowers look roughly as I expected, but the branched pedicle is unexpected.

George

johnw

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2014, 04:27:33 PM »
Robin  - Does that peltatum x pleianthum cross work both ways? 

Last year we had a very isolated pleianthum set seed in a garden where only emodi grows and wondered if that cross would work in that direction as well.

johnw

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2014, 08:17:12 AM »
John , George

The peltatum x pleianthum cross works in both ways.Five years ago, Dr Jim Mc clements sent us a piece of the cross he made between pleianthum(female) and peltatum pollen: Photo 1 . We did it the other way with a peltatum mother and pleianthum and delavayi pollen. We only had one peltatum clone at that time who never had produced a fruit untill then ( peltatum is usually selfinfertile).Both the pleianthum and the delavayi pollen (on different flowers) produced large peltatum fruits with lots of fleshy stuff, many non viable flat seeds and one or two viable ones.We were lucky: one seed of each cross germinated. The pleianthum cross grew on with vigour:photo 2  while the delavayi cross just survives (still in the one leaf phase after 5 years).

Photo 1  Pleianthum x peltatum  leaves
Photo 2  peltatum x pleianthum  leaves

Stephen Vella

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2014, 11:28:25 AM »
Robin

Your number 4 :delavayi seedlings  pollinated with aurantiocaule is very unusual.. And yes very snow flake looking with this cross as it's been said....amazing!
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Geoforce

• Learning is Living
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »
Robin

Excellent photos of the foliage.  Obviously more deeply dissected than pleianthum in general.  Peltatum is native on my land here and some are so deeply dissected as to seem palmately compound.  Also, many show wonderful coloration on spring foliage although these turn all green later.

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »
George,

The lobing of the leaves on your picture is very regular; Could this be P. peltatum var annulare?

Robin

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2014, 12:40:13 PM »
John,

I have experienced that Podo delavayi can be pollinated by almost any other Podo species while Podo hexandrum can only be pollinated by itself and Podo pleianthum very reluctantly gets pollinated by another species.
Do you have the same experience?

Robin

Geoforce

• Learning is Living
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2014, 01:16:26 PM »
Robin,

I'm more of a lumper than a splitter, so I hesitate to give a subs. or var. to most plants.  This is typical of many of the forms around this area, although some clones have dissection only about 50% toward the center.  This photo is part of a large (probably mostly monoclonal) colony about 3 m x 4 m in size right off the edge of my rear deck, larger leaves seem to stay as regular but get more serrations on the outer edges.

You can already see start of rust spotting on these.  One of the banes of my existence, very resistant to fungicides. :'(

George

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2014, 01:23:09 PM »
Just in case anyone didn't know, is new, forgot....etc....... there are five pages of glorious Podophyllums here http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=5449.0  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal