We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A bit of advice needed re Lapeirousia jacquinii  (Read 1468 times)

meanie

A bit of advice needed re Lapeirousia jacquinii
« on: April 26, 2014, 09:19:29 AM »
Not strictly an Iris I know, but it is one of the Iridaceae family.

Basically, I have seeds for Lapeirousia jacquinii. Being a winter grower in it's native habitat I'm wondering when it is best to germinate them here in the UK, and also how best to go about it?
I have great success germinating Lachenalia at the "wrong" time but am finding that there is little to gain from it as the bulblets refuse to break their dormancy so soon after going dormant resulting in a missed growing season. Will Lapeirousia jacquinii be more forgiving?

Thanks for reading.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: A bit of advice needed re Lapeirousia jacquinii
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:40:05 AM »
Not knowing they were Winter growers (not until your post) I sowed some in May 2011. Funnily enough I re-potted them yesterday (a bit later than I normally do my Summer growers) but can't remember how they were doing. The fact that I entered them in my notebook for later entry in my database suggests that there were bulbs present to repot. Otherwise the label would have been consigned to the "this bulbs dead mate" pile for subsequent deletion from database. Does this help or do I maintain my propensity to confuse as the other member of the household puts out?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

meanie

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 10:14:01 AM »
Why would the experience of someone who has grown them in the UK confuse! From what you say they're happy to grow in the UK summer. Have they bloomed yet?
I suppose that having bought twenty seeds (and got twenty seven) I should do my own experiment, but if someone comes along and says treat them as summer growers here I'm tacky enough to try for the big display!
West Oxon where it gets cold!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 10:42:07 AM »
No not yet.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal