We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Viola- seed question  (Read 791 times)

John Kitt

• The Spent Gardener
Viola- seed question
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:44:49 PM »
Last year I bought seeds of Viola sororia 'rubra'  from a northern hemisphere supplier.  They germinated well and have grown on successfully.  Currently they appear to be wanting to flower but are only producing seed capsules without producing a flower??  Can anyone explain this for me? They are still in small pots.
John

GordonT

Re: Viola
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:58:10 AM »
Hi John, it seems that you have also discovered one of the quirks of the genus Viola (among others). What you are seeing are cleistogamous flowers- blooms that never really open, but are capable of self pollination. I had several seedlings of Viola variegata that spent time in the unheated greenhouse in midsummer. They grew well, and sent out flower stalks which never bloomed, but set seed. The greenhouse was probably too hot and sunny for their liking.

Apparently several species of Viola may produce these self pollinating 'blooms' when conditions aren't exactly ideal- to insure seed set. Perhaps exposing the plants to cooler, shadier or more humid conditions might induce traditional flowering.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

John Kitt

• The Spent Gardener
Re: Viola
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 03:39:19 AM »
Many thanks Gordon,
I will try that.  Certainly the common violets flower best here in the coolest, shadiest location.  I should have followed their example.
Continuing to learn!!

John

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal