We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Perth Show 19th April 2014  (Read 6807 times)

suesimpson33

Re: SRGC Perth Show 19th April 2014
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 07:50:26 PM »
Can I just say, as a newcomer to this exhibiting business, I was delighted to receive a Certificate of Merit for my clematis.  Not the easiest of plants to get looking like that, so it was nice to be appreciated (and twice too!)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 08:40:17 PM »
Well done Sue.  I nearly took my miserable little Pulsatilla albana off the table when I saw your amazing entry....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 10:51:08 PM »
Sandy's Perth Show Forrest Medal report here :

http://files.srgc.net/Showreports/PerthForrest2014.pdf       8)

Edinburgh Show report is  online now too:
                 http://files.srgc.net/Showreports/5Edinburghshow2014.pdf

See all show reports here :
http://www.srgc.net/site/index.php/shows/sample-menu
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:54:13 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 06:46:55 AM »
Wasn't Cyril's iris magnificent, and the report Sandy filed about so appropriate too!  Another Lafong triumph....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Julia

• Journal Access Group
  • Past SRGC President
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2014, 02:21:31 PM »
Hi we've just had the figures in and we had a record number of public, plants on benches, cakes and sunshine  :).     the Certificate of Merits are for fantastic plants that have won a first but not quite a forrest and the judges think that they were very well grown. Thank you to everyone who showed plants, volunteered to help with the show or who just came.
 Julia Perth show sec
Julia Corden
Head Gardener Goodwood Estate

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »
That's great news about your show stats, Julia - it certainly looked a lovely show from the photos.

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 11:48:44 AM »
I’ve been a bit busy this week, and thus rather late in posting my pictures from the Perth show, so I hope that these images are still of interest. At least it’s something to look at whilst you’re waiting for pictures from the Highland show  ;D.

I was just wandering along the benches taking pictures of anything that caught my eye, so here’s a personal take on the show.

1.  A lovely potful of Uvularia palida, smaller than the commonly seen P. grandiflora and obviously thriving in the pot. Unfortunately I did not make a note of the exhibitor.

2. Cyril Lafong’s fine Trillium grandiflorum roseum in perfect condition.

3. Another fine plant from Cyril: Androsace muscoidea. Still some flowers to come, but looking superb.

4. Tim Lever’s Sebaea thomasii that won a Farrer medal the week before at the Midland AGS show – ‘only’ a Certificate of Merit this time for this much-travelled plant.

5. Watt Russell’s Paris quadrifolia, subtle flowers set off by fresh green foliage
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:52:18 AM by Peter Maguire »
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Peter Maguire

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2014, 11:57:38 AM »
6.Pteridophyllum racemosum – part of the Bainbridges’ six pan entry.

7. Trillium pusillum pusillum – another part of the Bainbridges’ six pan entry. Not sure about that pot though………  ::)

8. Margaret and Henry Taylor’s Ranunculus parnassifolius ‘Pink Form’. I believe that this is the form they collected seed of from the Nuria area of the Pyrenees.

9. Another plant from Cyril Lafong: Lewisia tweedyi ‘Lemon’. This looks like a plant that I remember seeing at the 2011 conference, if so, then it is looking as good as ever.

10. Rhododendron edgeworthii was the winner in the dwarf rhododendron class for J and A Thompson. Not really dwarf when fully grown, this young plant was in excellent condition and in a surprisingly small pot.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:03:19 PM by Peter Maguire »
Peter Maguire

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

Peter Maguire

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2014, 11:59:41 AM »
11. Another view of the R. edgeworthii (especially for Maggi)  ;)

12. A beautifully presented saxifrage from Margaret and Henry Taylor. I’ve always known it as S, grisbachii ‘Wisley’, but I guess we must now know it by its new tongue-twister: Saxifraga federici-augusti ssp. grisbachii ‘Wisley’

13. Graham Catlow’s Sempervivum calcareum was very distinctive – sempervivums are generally shown as a flat(tish) disc of rosettes, and this naturalistic display caught the eye of the judges to be awarded a first place.

14. That Iris. Cyril Lafong’s Iris suaveolens which won the Forrest medal for Cyril….again.

15. Another Certificate of Merit, Cyril’s Hymenoxys acaulis caespitose. Narrowly defeated in the vote for the Forrest medal, I did wonder later whether we got that one wrong…… However Cyril was happy either way.  ;)
Peter Maguire

Peter Maguire

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2014, 12:01:32 PM »
16. Although I don’t grow any myself, I rather like some of the older varieties of auricula, and in the florists’ auricula class, this one caught my eye because of the unusual colouring: Auricula ‘Beechen Green’, show by F&M Higgins.

17. Watt Russell’s Tropaeolum tricolour. I think that this is the plant I generally see at the Edinburgh show – not sure if it is late this year as I missed the Edinburgh show. This scrambling plant is trained to form as column about 50cms high which is covered with the dainty, 1cm tall flowers.

18. Sue Simpson’s Rhododendron megeratum ‘Bodnant’ in section II won the EHM Cox trophy for the best dwarf rhododendron. The Rhododendron edgeworthii in section I was a lovely plant, but difficult to describe as dwarf.

19. Another view of the same plant – a close-up of the sumptuous flowers.

20. Another Sue Simpson plant – Pulsatilla vernalis. I was talking to Susann Nilsson, visiting the show from Sweden, about this and she wondered whether it may have been a hybrid Pulsatilla based on the leaf form. It certainly had an unusual grey back to the petals when viewed in the show hall, but this colour-balanced picture shows some of the more usual purple colouration. I think that the leaves are just that shape due their being young growth, but I know that Susann has a particular interest in the genus, so I’ll let others be the judge of it’s parentage….

Peter Maguire

Peter Maguire

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2014, 12:02:19 PM »
21. A close-up to help you decide.

22. Yet another Sue Simpson plant to finish (well I did say that I photographed plants that caught my eye, and her plants were outstanding in section II – she’ll be promoted upstairs to section I next year). Primula marginata ‘White Lady’
Peter Maguire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2014, 03:30:04 PM »

8. Margaret and Henry Taylor’s Ranunculus parnassifolius ‘Pink Form’. I believe that this is the form they collected seed of from the Nuria area of the Pyrenees.

9. Another plant from Cyril Lafong: Lewisia tweedyi ‘Lemon’. This looks like a plant that I remember seeing at the 2011 conference, if so, then it is looking as good as ever.

Lovely photos, Peter.
Cyril has been showing that lemon tweedyi for a long time -  I haven't been able to check all the old reports but he won a Forrest with it in Perth in 2008 - here's Ian's photo:

and here it is from  my pic

-while I was looking for the lewisia, I  was reminded of the great Forrest plant from 2007, Fritillaria liliacea from Fred Hunt .... pic by David Millward

and this fantastic Ranunculus parnassifolius from Perth in 2007, pic by Tom Cameron

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2014, 03:48:41 PM »
Cyril has been showing that lemon tweedyi for a long time -  I haven't been able to check all the old reports but he won a Forrest with it in Perth in 2008 - here's Ian's photo:
(Attachment Link)

If the Rhein were closer I'd jump into it.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2014, 06:38:52 PM »
Sandy's Perth Show report is loaded to the main site HERE

Warning to those on dial-up or slow connections - it's a big file 10.7Mb.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal