We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: LEWISIA-2014  (Read 5710 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: LEWISIA-2014
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2014, 12:36:04 AM »
David,

I like 'Ashwood Red' ! Where did you come up with that one?
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2014, 06:55:51 PM »
David,

I like 'Ashwood Red' ! Where did you come up with that one?

From seed Robert. Ashwood Nursery, in the middle of England, have a national reputation for their breeding work based on Lewisia cotyledon carried out in particular by their recently retired Philip Baulk. He gets a mention in Brian Mathew's monograph "Lewisia" (RBG Kew, Christopher Helm and Timber Press) 1989 and Roy Davidson's "Lewisias" (Timber Press) 2000. Aswood Nursery market a range of their nursery collected seed two of which are Yellow and Red.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2014, 08:19:56 PM »
Robert - you must have a look around the Ashwood site - you will enjoy it! http://www.ashwoodnurseries.com/

They do amazing things  breeding Lewisia,  Helleborus and Cyclamen .... and that's not all.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 08:22:58 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graeme

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2014, 09:59:17 PM »
 last time I was at ashwood he was into hepatica's in a big way
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Robert

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2014, 03:13:09 AM »
David,

Thank you for the background information on Ashwood Nursery. Does your plant set open pollinated seed?

Maggi,

Thanks for the link to Ashwood Nursery. Yes, I will have a look around. I'm always impressed by the horticultural skills of those in the U.K. One of many good reasons to participate in the forum!  ;)
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2014, 08:03:49 AM »

.....................Does your plant set open pollinated seed?

I don't know Robert, this is it's first flowering but I can't see any reason why it shouldn't. Will keep you posted.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Geoforce

• Learning is Living
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 12:28:49 PM »
David

Very fond of your 'Yellow #2'.  Very nice clear color.

George Forsythe, Pennsylvania, USA
"Learn something new everyday."

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2014, 03:53:27 PM »
The majority of plants from the same batch of seed are the same as No. 2 George.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Roma

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2014, 08:23:18 PM »
I'm still getting flowers on Lewisia rediviva.   I think I planted 6 in the big pot but they did not all flower at the same time.
Two whites - one with pink pollen and one with yellow.  Some seed was from SRGC and some from AGS but all was from the same donor of collected seed.   I have 16 plants with 2 still to flower.  I have never done so well with Lewisia rediviva.  I hope a few survive another year ;D
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2014, 05:56:15 PM »
You've done very well with your rediviva Roma. I've yet to get one to the flowering stage, nil desperandum!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Robert

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2014, 03:19:58 AM »
I'm still getting flowers on Lewisia rediviva.   I think I planted 6 in the big pot but they did not all flower at the same time.
Two whites - one with pink pollen and one with yellow.  Some seed was from SRGC and some from AGS but all was from the same donor of collected seed.   I have 16 plants with 2 still to flower.  I have never done so well with Lewisia rediviva.  I hope a few survive another year ;D

Roma,

Yes, excellent Lewisia rediviva. If I understand correctly the seed was from cultivated plants? Lewisia rediviva grows naturally just down the road from the farm here, about a 5 minute walk. It grows elsewhere in our area too. I've never seen anything like yours in the wild.

Beautiful plants! Thank you for sharing.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Roma

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »
You've done very well with your rediviva Roma. I've yet to get one to the flowering stage, nil desperandum!
Keep trying ,David.  I think I did get one to a reasonable size many years ago.  I think I may have got one or two to flowering stage since then but no further.  I am amazed to still have 16 plants at 5 years old and all with at least one flower.   They are setting seed too.

Roma

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2014, 03:23:35 PM »
Robert, the seed was wild collected.  The seed in the SRGC list (2008/2009) was collected in Idaho by a Mr. & Mrs. J. Fowler.  The seed in the AGS list was wild collected by G&K Fowler who appear in the UK list of donors but no note of where it was collected.  I assumed they were the same couple but did not notice earlier that the initials were different.  I think Diane Clement can give me more information about the AGS donation if you are interested.  I didn't label each plant separately so they are mixed up now but they are all similar. 

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2014, 07:50:44 PM »
Robert, the seed was wild collected.  The seed in the SRGC list (2008/2009) was collected in Idaho by a Mr. & Mrs. J. Fowler.  The seed in the AGS list was wild collected by G&K Fowler who appear in the UK list of donors but no note of where it was collected.  I assumed they were the same couple but did not notice earlier that the initials were different.  I think Diane Clement can give me more information about the AGS donation if you are interested.  I didn't label each plant separately so they are mixed up now but they are all similar. 

Roma, the AGS seed was collected in Idaho by Gordon and Kath Fowler, so I'd be pretty sure that the SRGC initial "J" is just a typo and it is the same donation. 
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Roma

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
Thank you Diane.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal