We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Autumn Flowering Narcissus 2014  (Read 17523 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Autumn Flowering Narcissus 2014
« on: April 13, 2014, 02:09:55 PM »
The first of the autumn flowering narcissus has opened!
I got this as Narcissus serotinus but I think it's now considered to be Narcissus obsoletus.
The second pic clearly shows the lobed corona,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Autumn Flowering Narcissus 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 09:00:53 PM »
Delightful, Fermi - as our narcissus season comes to a close, yours begins again!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 04:11:35 AM »
Yesterday the Victorian Daffodil Society had a guest speaker at our meeting: Lawrence Trevanion from Canberra who has been doing a lot of breeding with different sections and brought some examples of autumn flowering daffs with N. elegans in their pedigree. I think he said that he'll be putting something on Daff.net at sometime. Here are a few of the cut-flowers he allowed me to take home, which I photographed this morning (warning in advance - blue skies evident in these pics!!!  ;D )
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 08:44:09 AM »
Fermi,
What a colourful flower! When I admire your pics I start to look forward to autumn although we experience a delightful spring!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:02:42 AM »
Yes, Gerd, just as I'm enjoying the spring pics from your side of the equator!

This is the Narcissus viridiflorus I picked to take to the meeting (2 pics) and the next 2 pics are of another of Lawrence's - I think it's N. miniatus,
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:28:57 AM »
Yesterday the Victorian Daffodil Society had a guest speaker at our meeting: Lawrence Trevanion from Canberra who has been doing a lot of breeding with different sections and brought some examples of autumn flowering daffs with N. elegans in their pedigree. I think he said that he'll be putting something on Daff.net at sometime. Here are a few of the cut-flowers he allowed me to take home, which I photographed this morning (warning in advance - blue skies evident in these pics!!!  ;D )
cheers
fermi
How interesting. Great flowers too - now, the BIG question - do they smell as good as they look?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »
How interesting. Great flowers too - now, the BIG question - do they smell as good as they look?
The scent is great, Maggi!
We've got them in the house at the moment and they're a lot more pleasant than straight Narcissus tazetta or Paperwhites.
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 12:28:34 PM »
Very early for viridiflorus. Mine didn't make an appearance until the end of April last year.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 03:42:58 AM »
Fermi,

I have what I think is now obsoletus (which I received as miniatus) flowering very well for me here.  Thanks Hans J for the original seed.  They're doing brilliantly.  N. viridiflorus is something I have never managed to grow successfully, it usually peters out, or at the very least completely fails to flower.  I'm not sure I even have it any more.  A real shame, as I would love to grow it successfully.  :-\

Actually, while we're on the subject of autumn flowering Narcs..... does anyone here in Australia grow N. cavanillesii?  It is an unusual species that has no cup/trumpet to speak of, and looks almost more like an autumn crocus in appearance.  Does anyone here actually grow it?  Perhaps I should put this in a separate topic asking people whether it is here in Australia?  Thanks for any information anyone can give me as to whereabouts in Aus.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 04:09:32 AM »
Paul,
please post a pic of your N. obsoletus to compare with mine.
Here are a few more Narcissus oboletus in flower in another pot and the Narcissus viridiflorus clump in the garden,
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 08:35:52 AM »
Quite a vigorous form of obsoletus. So unlike the tiny flowers on single stemmed plants growing wild in Ibiza.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 08:52:23 AM »
.. So unlike the tiny flowers on single stemmed plants growing wild in Ibiza.
Those might've been "partied out"  ;D
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 09:16:44 AM »
I managed to avoid that side of Ibiza.  ;D I don't understand the people who party all night and sleep (if that's the word) all day. Why bother spending the money on airfare, except that European air travel is ludicrously cheap.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 09:35:12 AM »
I find that they vary from year to year in substance and breadth of petals.  I think it depends on feeding etc.  Mine are very similar to your first ones, but I adore that later pic..... they do look so much more substantial and uniform that I have to wonder whether they are just a superior form.  Well done.  I can't grow viridiflorus..... can't work out why but I've tried it and failed a few times.  :-\  I wish I could work out why.

Interestingly, after reading your post about your Lawrence T from Canberra giving you a talk..... I visited his garden later that afternoon for the first time in something like 20 years.  He has some lovely stuff out in flower at the moment.  I haven't processed the pictures, but I took a few photos while there.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:42:33 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 01:14:26 PM »
One of Lawrence's hybrids, 'First Stanza' is now in flower in our garden (and this one in a pot) - might be the same as one of the cut-flowers I showed earlier.
Paul,
this clump of Narcissus viridiflorus was planted 12 years ago - a few bulbs I bought from fellow forumist Gordon Julian when we visited his garden in Tasmania. I'd tried to establish it twice before without success so I'm glad these settled in so well,
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal