We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium species  (Read 91597 times)

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
Re: Lilium species
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2008, 09:27:35 PM »
Formosanum flowers in six months or so from seed in my garden. If yours isn't you may be growing it a little cold; it also doesn't like being too dry.

Thanks. Having you say it is possible makes me believe.

Today I potted on some seedlings of L. Formosanum v. Pricei, which originated from Lesley Cox in June, one of those looked like it might grow a bit faster.

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Gene Mirro

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 01:08:09 AM »
philippinense vs. formosanum:  check this out:

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/pbs/2005-May/021318.html
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2008, 05:39:15 PM »
Gene,
I read what you have written with great interest.
I am fairly successful with several species lilies both Chinese and American so I am probably in a better climate than you are.
Have you ever measured the actual soil temperatures? Warm and Cold are relative words and your cold may be my warm.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 01:45:20 PM »
I didn't found were i've posted about this plant, sorry :-[
After some mounths, there are some survivers. They still very litte (2cm max).
I water them very frequently ( I think I've killed some with no water).
What do you thing about it?
Do they will grow ?

Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

4moreaction

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2008, 08:39:08 PM »
Currently flowering for the first time --Lilum duchartrei x Otago Alpine Group --seed sown 8/03.

Planted in a 20 litre poly trough with a few other Lilium sps seedlings it is 'running about' and coming up everywhere .

Just wondering if there could be possibility to get seeds of this beauty? =O)

Cheers dave.
'we should appreciate the gifts of nature!'

elilium71

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
Hi Chris,
I have had some success with getting great germination of L. philadelphicum by starting the seed in a clear plastic sealed container. I think that L. philadelphicum requires high humidity to thrive as a seedling. I have 90% or better germination of seed. In one calendar year I have had the seedlings progress to having multiple leaves. Here is what I do. I start them in pure pearlite to keep fungus and other nasties out. I moisten the pearlite sprinkle the seeds on top of the pearlite. There is some debate if light aids germination. Put the container under a grow light and watch for germination. Once the seed has started to show green I add a very small amount 15ml to 4 inch plastic container of very dilute 1/4 or less the "full strength" fertilizer. (I used miracle grow in the past. And trying a different liquid fertilizer and have noticed no difference.) As the plants mature I add additional very weak fertilizer every other time I think of it. To transition the seedlings to low humidity conditions and regular potting mix. I have waited until they have 4 or more true leaves. I plant them in pre moistened seedling mix and place the entire pot in a plastic bag and seal it. Over the course of a week or more I open the bag for more and more time per day until they are open all day. After that I have treated them like other seedlings never letting them dry out completely.
I hope this helps.
Eric Duma

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 04:15:56 PM »
This all sounds like good advice, Eric, thank you!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

4moreaction

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2008, 07:43:13 PM »
one interesting lily would be lilium canadense (red form)...
'we should appreciate the gifts of nature!'

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2009, 12:48:51 PM »
Matti,
Seed from that are usually available in the seed lists.
It is not particularly difficult if you have patience.
It is also frost hardy in mid Sweden so you should be fine
It like smoisture very much.
L canadense actually seeds itself occasionally in my place.

The one I would like to find is the unspotted light yellow one.

Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2009, 10:20:59 PM »
After a few years I have a seedling in flower today of Lilium chalcedonicum, seed from John Forrest. It is a glorious colour - orangey-scarlet and the pollen is exactly the same shade. I've hand-pollinated but of course it's a single clone. We shall see. Two more to bloom, next year perhaps.

Light rain this morning and very mild and muggy, following two days of gale force nor'west winds and temp in mid 30s. 35 on Friday and still 29 at midnight. Yesterday even higher. Beastly. On a rescue missions with the hose.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 10:27:24 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2009, 11:21:28 PM »
Thanks Maggi, Soon as I'd posted this I thought I should have put it in the Lilium thread. Too lazy to change it. Well not really, but we had those very high temps on Friday and yesterday with 29C at midnight between the two days and I was still lying trying to sleep on Sat morning when I had to get up at 4.30am. Not much better last night, we left all the doors to the outside open all night (couldn't do that in town) but still not much sleep so I'm bug-eyed this morning and in fact look rather like the upper part of those stunning little Calceolaria uniflora flowers. Next door's cat came inside while our dog snoozed.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2009, 02:45:42 AM »
still not much sleep so I'm bug-eyed this morning and in fact look rather like the upper part of those stunning little Calceolaria uniflora flowers. Next door's cat came inside while our dog snoozed.

Hilarious Lesley.

I always imagine Popeye when I see that one but he didn't have aphids.

johnw.

John in coastal Nova Scotia

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2009, 02:40:43 AM »
Lesley,
 here in Melbourne also 41C plus every day until sunday , and not a drop of rain since
Christmas , plus severe water restrictions , the hottest 5 days in a row since 1910 .
So I and the plants are languishing , who will give up the ghost first : my alpine plants
 or I ? and pity the tennis players .
 I picked one stem of Lil. chalcedonicum with 3 flowers nearly 2 weeks ago for our
 local Lily Show - they are still in reasonable condition today .
 Thank you for the seeds , which arrived yesterday.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2009, 03:39:31 AM »
That's really tough Otto, especially the lack of any rain. If it's a matter of giving that glass of water to the Rhodothamnus or having it yourself......not a decision I'd like to have to make. :) I don't pity the tennis players at all, or the cricketers. They choose to play those games just as we choose to garden. If you can't stand the heat...... 8)

maggiepie

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2009, 06:47:45 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place to ask , but I have some martagon seeds in a baggie with damp vermiculite at room temperature, they've been in the bag since 8th Jan and are getting roots.
Not sure if I have to leave them at warm for another 9 weeks or if I can move them into the fridge for 3 months.
Any advice appreciated.

:)
Helen Poirier , Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal