We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium species  (Read 91580 times)

Gene Mirro

Re: Lilium species
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2014, 08:51:25 PM »
I agree with Yann on all points.

I grow all of my new seedlings under fluorescents at around 15C for a couple of months in late Winter.  I don't get any damping off losses.  If I put the new seedlings in the greenhouse, and if the weather is cloudy for a week or two, sometimes I get big losses.  I don't use fungicide on new seedlings.  I have had problems with fungicide.

I don't like the bag method.  Too much work.  I don't want to touch the new seedlings.

Johnw, I have not tried Bjornar's seeds yet.  I will try them next Spring. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:53:57 PM by Gene Mirro »
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2014, 09:13:35 PM »
i've almost 100% of germination with Bojnar's seeds. Fresh material
North of France

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2014, 09:35:13 PM »
I only used the bags to sprout the seeds, the minute they came up they were de-bagged and moved into the cool 5-10c room under fluorescents.  The transition always goes easily.  The fungicide was a bacillus ....   I suspect it may have fermented.

I will not give up hope on the souliei seed from 2014. So am I correct to assume they germinate immediately at room temps?

Thanks to all.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gene Mirro

« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2014, 09:44:40 PM »
Seeds of Nomocharis and Chinese alpine species are supposed to be immediate epigeal.  But many of them have delayed germination, often a year or more.  So you should not throw away your pots, and you should keep them moist.  In my experience, the ones that are delayed do not grow as well as the ones that germinate right away.  But I grow them anyway. 

I usually plant the entire contents of the pot into the garden in mid-May, without disturbing the seedlings.  I often find new seedlings coming up in the garden in the following year or two.

vanozzi

« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2014, 10:58:52 AM »
Whoo hoo !!
 8 speciosum gloriosoides and 4 Lophophorum seeds have germinated in the last 2 days.Especially happy to see the gloriosoides .

Thank you Bjørnar Olsen.
Paul R
Bunbury Western Australia

Gene Mirro

« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2014, 12:36:02 AM »
I usually get poor germination of L. mackliniae, oxypetalum and nanum when I try to germinate them indoors at around 15C.  This year I am germinating them outdoors at 5-10C, and they are germinating strongly.  As soon as they make a leaf, they go under the fluorescent lights in my cold greenhouse.  I am also trying some Nomocharis in winter temps, but they haven't started germinating yet.  Next I am going to try some of the other Chinese high-altitude lilies at low temps.  I've seen several references on the web stating that these seeds like to germinate at low temps (5-15C). 

P. Kohn

« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2015, 05:35:57 PM »
We too enjoy raising species lilies from seed and generally don't find them too difficult once one has identified whether they are epigeal or hypogeal etc. but bulb scaling is definitely the method of choice for getting mature plants quickly. However, there seem to be a very limited number of species available as bulbs in the UK. Can anyone suggest good suppliers please ? How difficult (and expensive) is it to import from other countries ?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2015, 06:44:40 PM »
As it happens, Peter - Pontus has just posted a list of plants....
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=13571.0

8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2015, 07:00:52 PM »
Susan Band at Pitcairn Alpines lists the following Lilium
columbianum; humboldtii; kelleyanum; kelloggii; lankongense; macklinae; pardalinum; parryii; rosthornii; taliense; wardii. I haven't checked her current stock position.

http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk/enter-main-shop-here-nall8curpage-3-8-c.asp
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tristan_He

« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2015, 08:48:14 PM »
It's funny that the technical terms epigeal and hypogeal always come up in any discussion of lily seed germination, as it gives growing them from seed a mystique they do not deserve.

Like Gene, I've grown a lot of lilies from seed and killed far more along the way. In my view germination is generally the easy part provided that the seed is reasonably fresh (I tend to sow as soon as they are ripe). Moreover, the 'sow, cover with grit, leave outside and await results' approach seems to work pretty well for most species. The trick is then in regular potting up whilst not disturbing the roots, and guarding against slugs and vine weevils. It's immensely rewarding to look at a clump of these beautiful plants in the garden and know that they are something unique that you have raised.

Fresh seed is key though - don't bother with offerings of seed companies which are mostly dead. I can recommend the RHS Lily Group http://www.rhslilygroup.org/ seed exchange (Declaration of interest: I used to help run it for a while).

Tristan

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2015, 08:53:17 AM »
Just looked at my bags of Lilium canadense and michiaganense seed bought from Gabriela 4 weeks ago.  They have been kept in the living room(about 19-20C) they are now forming little bulbs. I will keep them in the house for another week to let them grow a bit. I will then sow them in seed trays and put them in the just frost free tunnel. I hope they will put up a leaf this spring. 
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2015, 01:06:57 PM »
Just looked at my bags of Lilium canadense and michiaganense seed bought from Gabriela 4 weeks ago.  They have been kept in the living room(about 19-20C) they are now forming little bulbs. I will keep them in the house for another week to let them grow a bit. I will then sow them in seed trays and put them in the just frost free tunnel. I hope they will put up a leaf this spring. 
   Gabriela  = Botanically Inclined    8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Cfred72

« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2016, 07:41:16 PM »
What do you advise to plant Lilium nepalense?
I will soon reap the seeds of the single pod garden.
Is epigeal (immediate, delayed) or Hypogeum (immediate or delayed)?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:44:35 PM by Cfred72 »
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2016, 08:36:40 PM »
Immediate epigeal.

Just noticed in 'Lilies' by Edward Austin McRae "Coming from the Himalayan foothills it might be suspected to lack hardiness; however, it has survived outdoors in Oregon for many years......... The species can be grown in a pot or other container given plenty of moisture during its growing period, but it must be kept dry during fall and winter. It is necessary to cover it against fall rains"
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Cfred72

« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2016, 04:35:26 AM »
David thank you for information.
I had planted last year in a new very light and very draining bed ..
I did not take special precautions to protect it. He appeared 50 centimeters further than where I had planted. True, he is known for.
For seeds I sow the pot in surface with 0.5 cm of grains above and then I lay in bed directly outside waiting for spring?
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal