We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Massonia jasminiflora  (Read 4199 times)

Alan Bryan

Massonia jasminiflora
« on: January 03, 2008, 04:51:14 PM »
Hi
I really enjoyed the log about massonia. I have a single plant of m. jasminiflora growing well in my cool greenhouse. I have previously tried to self pollinate the flowers in order to get seed with no luck. Anyone know if this is likely to be successful or are they self sterile?
Cheers
Alan :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Massonia jasminiflora
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 06:55:10 PM »
Hello, Alan and welcome!
I don't grow Massonias so I am no help to you but, happily, there are others around who do grow, can and will help!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 06:53:11 AM »
Hello Alan,
Massonias will occasionally set the odd seed without cross fertilisation, but it doesn't happen often and the seeds are not always viable. It is much better to cross pollinate if possible. If your plant is likely to be in flower in about a week or so I could try sending you some pollen off my plant which has just started flowering. Would this help?

Best wishes

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Alan Bryan

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »
Hi Paul
that is very kind of you, that would be fantastic, I still have a couple of flowers left in the process of coming out. I have messaged you my email address.
Cheers
Alan

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal