We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Morus alba hardy variety  (Read 748 times)

Excelsior

• Look down! Thats where the magic happens!
Morus alba hardy variety
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:26:13 PM »
Dear members of SRGC!
I'm looking for seeds (or cuttings of hardy clones) of hardy mulberries, presumably variety of Morus alba.
Perhaps someone in the northern states of USA or Canada have experience with hardy varietys, or know someone that can obtain wild seeds from the northern range or high altitude areas?

Growing on the edge, 560 m.a.s.l.

Robert G

• Trees and everything that grows under them
Re: Morus alba hardy variety
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 04:51:03 PM »
Hello,

I maybe able to help. We have many Morus alba specimens growing here, both planted and 'occurring.' It is a somewhat invasive plant here. The best examples we have here were not planted, but were left rather than removed. We also have Morus rubra growing here. You could have seed from both.

If vigour and taste are what you are looking for Morus 'Illinois Everbearing' is the best for us. You can have seed from that as well. Cuttings are possible, but will be complicated. You can maybe tell me what the rules are for material entering your country. Let me know although with a metre of snow on the ground and last night's low of -22C we are not in a rush.

Take care,

Robert
Metcalfe, Ontario in Canada USDA Zone 4

Excelsior

• Look down! Thats where the magic happens!
Re: Morus alba hardy variety
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 10:37:02 AM »
Hello!
That would be great with seed from both species. It's no problem sending dried fruit or seed as long it they are labeled with the scientific name of the fruit/seeds (so the customs don't think its "magic berries" ;D). Seems to be the same weather condition in Ontario as inland Norway at the moment, not that cold here though. Although the winter weather in inland Canada and inland Norway are quite similar, the average summer temperature are somewhat lower in Norway than in Canada, so trees and shrubs don't get the temperature sum required to survive the winter. This isn't that prominent with perennials though. But it will be interesting to give it a try :) I'll send  you a PM when the fruit is ripe (July/August?), and we can make a deal :)

Regards
Gyrd (pronunciation: just gargle :P)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:40:33 AM by Excelsior »
Growing on the edge, 560 m.a.s.l.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal