We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: azalea ID  (Read 770 times)

pontus

azalea ID
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:35:54 PM »
Hello Everyone,

In this internet post, there is an image of a plant labelled as a rhododendron...o me it looks more like an azalea...it looks a bit similar to a selection i know called "choptank river" from the USA, but it may not be..

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37167

could someone help me in ID ing this beauty? Then will be the task of finding one...probably tricky if it is rare or a hard to find USA sp...

Pontus

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: azalea ID
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:03:26 PM »
I think the 'Choptank River' selections are of Rhododendron atlanticum.  In Southern Oregon I believe this azalea is Rhododendron occidentale.  It's a super form - as to where you might find one for sale, I have no idea.

(all "azaleas" are rhododendrons)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 08:26:59 PM »
I think this is a wild form of Rhododendron occidentale as Maggi suggests.
This species is found in the western US states including northern California where the images in the CP UK forum were taken (there is a nice clump of Cypripedium californicum two images above the "Azalea").

Rh. occidentale is deciduous and blooms before leafing up. The flowers are scented, pink & white and usually have an orange blotch.
This species should be suitable for a mid-European garden that doesn't get excessively cold in winter.

The species and various cultivars/selections and hybrids are available in the trade in the UK and probably also on mainland Europe.
http://glendoick.com/glendoick-garden-centre-details.php?PageID=93
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 08:40:34 PM »
I think the photos are from Southern Oregon, Steve, although the poster is from California - viz the title of the thread : "June 1, 2010 Inland Variety of Darlingtonia californica, Southern Oregon"

I do not deny that R.  occidentale forms and hybrids are quite readily available - I was thinking particularly of the difficulty in sourcing a vibrant  two-tone pink  form such as in the photos from the wild, which is a real beauty. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal