We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Calochortus  (Read 2364 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Calochortus
« on: December 29, 2007, 04:19:06 PM »
Having convinced myself that future UK Summers can never be as wet as 2007 (is this man a fool?) I thought I would have a go at a couple of Calochortus species (perhaps under glass!). The SeedEx has provided me with C. clavatus and C. venustus which I intended to sow in early Spring. Anyone with advice to share please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gene Mirro

Re: Calochortus
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 07:14:49 PM »
They will germinate after 2 or 3 months at around 5C.  The seedlings can be treated like tulips or any other dryland bulb.  They will go dormant in midsummer.  They need to be dry when dormant.  I keep the dormant bulbs above     -2C during the winter.  The bulbs will resprout in late winter after a couple of months of cold.  This is a problem for me in the Pacific Northwest, because we don't have any sun in late winter.  And most Calochortus like a lot of sun.  So I put them under my halide light in the cold greenhouse.  The cool temps and the good light keep them from getting too lanky.  They will bloom at about 3 years.  The flowers are gorgeous.  Calochortus tolmiei is a Pacific NW native and should be easy to grow in the UK, but it's not very impressive.  I have grown Calochortus luteus out of doors here with good success.  Prepare a site with sandy/gritty soil.  You can also try protecting the site from rain in the winter.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 07:18:57 PM by Gene Mirro »
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 07:21:17 PM »
Gene, thanks for that. Exactly the sort of information I was after.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 06:07:47 AM »
 The bulbs will resprout in late winter after a couple of months of cold.  This is a problem for me in the Pacific Northwest, because we don't have any sun in late winter.  And most Calochortus like a lot of sun.  So I put them under my halide light in the cold greenhouse.  The cool temps and the good light keep them from getting too lanky. 

Gene,
What kind of light do you use? I would be glad if you can tell me some details. I have problems with autumn flowering daffs which elongate in the way which Ian showed in the bulb log. A Natrium-vapor lamp (I hope this is the correct translation) of 7O W did not solve the problem.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gene Mirro

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 07:14:05 AM »
In the USA, Natrium is Sodium, so it would be a Sodium vapor lamp.  I don't know much about these lamps.  I don't think they are used for growing plants.

Most growers use metal halide lamps for plants.  They have the correct light spectrum for the plants.  Fluorescent fixtures are OK for small areas, but you need to mount them only a few inches above the plants.  Halides can be mounted much higher, and will illuminate a large area.  I have been using halides for winter growing for about 20 years.  They are also very popular with Marijuana growers.

If you buy one, you need to be very careful with it.  They get very hot.  If you splash water on them, they may explode.  They make UV light that is harmful to humans.  So don't stay under the light too long.  You can get them up to 1,000 watt size.  You should not look directly at these very powerful lamps.  They are like the sun.  Metal halide lights are not considered a consumer product; they are used mostly by professionals.  So they are not easy to find at retail stores.  In the USA, some horticultural supply companies sell them.  They are easy to find using Google.  The lamps require a special fixture which is quite expensive. 
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 09:53:11 AM »
Thank you Gene,
A very useful tip. I will think about trying one.
Happy new year
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Gerdk

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 12:11:45 PM »
Thank you too, Gene.
I'll try to get more information about these lamps here in Germany.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 04:22:16 PM »
Hello Gerd,

I brought a good sale last year in Agrolite h**p://www.agrolite.com/

-2 lamps (HPS/MH)
-Reflector panel, conections etc....
-Balastro (not plug & play)
-----------------------
90€

I recived it in two days after ordered

Gerdk

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 03:58:17 PM »
Rafa,
Thank you for this useful advice. It seems I need much more light (W, lumen) than I give actually.
Did you get satisfying results with your set?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal