We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Rock Garden and Greenhouse - Ardivachar  (Read 19094 times)

Chris Johnson

Re: New Rock Garden and Greenhouse - Ardivachar
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2015, 10:58:11 AM »
Yes, not ideal for our situation but it does provide good air circulation and with the new roof-vents fixed we don't anticipated any more problems.
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Chris Johnson

« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2015, 11:13:30 AM »
The Kederhouse (polytunnel) is an amazing structure which has withstood 5 brutal winters and now a hurricane without issue. The damage sustained this winter was from a flying object (probably a broken fish-crate which can have very sharp edges) which cut the end roof-panel allowing subsequent gales to tear the Keder material between the fixings.

The manufacturers came up promptly and replaced the panel. Nothing was lost from within the tunnel but it was rather draughty for a while.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
The area between the solar panels and the shed was prepared last autumn with some low protection and a few loads of rotted seaweed and cow manure. As the base is almost pure sand, it won't be too rich when spread. It was left like this for the winter.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2015, 02:24:55 PM »
Last week we started to lay out the beds with easy access in mind, using driftwood and pebbles off the beach. The recessed area nearest the panels has been left for later as it may be used as a sand bed. Likewise, the end nearest the shed is on hold as I've got ideas for an extension. More on that later (much later). The bed nearest the drive has not been enriched - it's just sand and subsoil. We planned to start planting this weekend but have a three-day Atlantic depression to cope with. A bit brutal at this time of year.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2015, 01:11:32 PM »
A job I started last autumn was building bases for some frames. The weather closed in before I had time to make the lids, but they are now finished. Four have a Keder covering the other four with shade netting.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2015, 11:52:31 AM »
Last autumn, between the greenhouse and rear of the solar panels, I prepared a shade bed ready for planting in the spring.

It proved a wind alley with the hurricane hitting the end panel and pushing it over 15 degrees. These 100 x 100mm posts are in half a metre of concrete each  :o

So more protecting. This time with a frame and shade/wind-resticting netting. We can now get some planting done.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2015, 11:12:39 PM »
Good hard job, it should withstand strong wings.
North of France

Chris Johnson

« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2015, 08:12:11 AM »
Thanks Yann - I certainly hope so.

bainbridges

« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2015, 05:12:56 PM »
Fingers crossed. Good to see you have been busy.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2015, 08:18:52 AM »
Fingers crossed. Good to see you have been busy.

Very busy, when this abysmal weather permits. We've been working on an extension to the shed, hinted at in another thread (don't know how to provide the link), with a polycarbonate roof. Christine's very excited with this new space and suggested I cover the whole garden with a 'lid'.

What a dangerous thing to say  :o

Must update this blog with some more images.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2015, 09:27:28 AM »
So, what it happening on t'other side? Well, not a great deal.

We moved a few more tons of sand-soil and exposed more rock in late autumn, but the very wet and windy winter kept us indoors. The torrential rain did have the advantage of cleaning off what we had exposed and showed us where the water was going. Rather neatly, it has flowed from the centre and, starting at the back, flowed all the way round to the front and exited into the nearby field.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2015, 09:38:15 AM »
We thought it would be nice to make a feature of this natural water flow and make a dry river bed with local pebbles. This is still work in progress but we like the effect so far. The demarcation stones between the pebbles and chipping is too harsh so they will be removed and allow a natural mingling of the two.

The triangular bed was to be terraced but there wasn't enough fall so I've 'paved' it with stone and allowed good crevices for planting. I would have liked a little extra height here so may alter it at some point in the future.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2015, 09:41:19 AM »
This is no longer a priority but I do a little as time allows.

The new extension to the shed had taken over in the short term (some images soon).

Chris Johnson

« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »
We have been working on a new lean-to extension to the workshop.

The footings and paved area went in first followed by a stub-wall, two blocks high which will give me something build against when creating a linear rockery outside. Fairly heavy construction materials have been used which would be over-engineered in most parts of the country but a safer option here. It faces east and this elevation with be covered in wind-break material, providing good air-circulation. A linear strip of soak-away has been provided for any rain that enters. We have a spare window from the house which will fit nicely in the south elevation.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2015, 11:33:10 AM »
The roofing is 25mm clear triple polycarbonate, 1 metre wide by 4.5 metres long allowing for a half metre overhang. The central bed is raised by two blocks and filled with sandy soil (increasingly sandy toward the top, topped with 20mm chipping. I anticipate it settling by a least 100mm allowing room for a gritty compost on top. The chippings will be worked into the sub-surface.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal