Bulbs > Crocus

Crocus crossing

<< < (2/47) > >>

hadacekf:
Welcome to the forum Guff,
It is a good idea to grow crocuses grown in a grass bank. Many crocuses will there grow happily, if the grass does not become too close and high. They look most natural in this setting. In any case the bulbs should be carefully labelled, and similar ones not put next to each other, so that you know what is what. In the grass one loses easily the overview where the species stand.

Guff:
Thanks for the welcome.

Hello Mark, Thomas, Ian, Maggi, Hadacekf

This is my second try posting, my first attempt said I timed out and did not save what I had wrote. I hope I can remember everything again.

I'm pretty new to crocus, I have had some here and there in spots. Added another 200 Giant Crocus this past fall. Most of my time has been spent trying to get a sea of cyclamen growing. Now that I have had some success, I hope " first winter" seedling have been planted out, it's time to move on to a sea of crocus. Thomas, I have seen your pictures on your sea of crocus lawn, beautiful. I'm not sure if I like them more mixed or grouped like yours are. Maybe I will try both ways.

I have 3 large grass banks, that I would like to fill with crocus. The smallest is about 20 foot x 15 foot slope bank, the other two are much larger 60+ x15 foot slope. I plan to start with the smallest and work my way to the next, and so on. I'm not really sure how many crocus I will need, but I have a feeling the number is big. I also have daffodils and snowdrops growing from seed, so I may or may not add these in time.

Thomas, very interesting information, that is going to help me a great deal. Now that I know what will work and what won't, I should have many more seeds this spring and next, thank you.

So I can cross Tricolor and Firefly both sieberi and c. Tommasinianus to any Giant Crocus  "c. Vernus", or just certain forms?

Very interesting about the "antlers" that does explain why I had so few seed pods grow on the snow crocus. When I purchase my snow crocus next fall, they will be planted in groups. It will then make it easier for me to dap pollen from form to form.

Can crocus pollen be frozen for later use and put into the freezer? I do this with daylily pollen, and it works out well. I store the pollen in Microcentrifuge Tubes.

When I plant my snow crocus next fall, would you suggest I plant them 3 or 5 inches apart? Digging and replanting isn't a problem, I figure that every 2 years I would do this and make another bed. I do know some forms multiply very fast. This fall, I could see one crocus that came to the surface, it turned into 6.

Maggie, thanks for the link. I have looked over all the crocus thread there. Lots of information and great pictures. Yes I have also looked at Tony Goode site as well. Lots of information there. I also have ran across Hadacekf site.

Hadacekf, very nice web site. I ran across your site about one year ago, maybe two, I forget. I was looking for information about cyclamen.

mark smyth:
If I were you I would buy species Crocus to plant on your banks. If you look at the Crocus per month on the old site and buy what you like you could have 6 months of Crocus in flower http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/5012/5012.html?1163445358

Guff:
Mark, 6  months of crocus flowers would be awesome sight. I don't think my neighbors would like the high grass, if I didn't mow.

I plan on ordering from John Scheepers and K.Van Bourgondien & Sons. They seem to have the best price on crocus , that I have come across.

If these links are not allowed, please edit them out.

http://www.johnscheepers.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Product&_category=Crocus

http://www.kvbwholesale.com/wholesale/crocus/specie-crocus/index.html

At K.Van Bourgondien link, they have some crocus left and they are real cheap, most are 50% off. I'm tempted to order some at those prices.

mark smyth:
Guff, Is this your real name?, your grass will not be long as it will have slowed down by the time the first Crocus are up and wouldnt be too high by the time the Crocus are dormant again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version