We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Emma and her new job  (Read 16678 times)

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
Emma and her new job
« on: March 01, 2014, 10:54:18 AM »
http://www.horticulturejobs.co.uk/job/311986/plant-propagator/

Advice please , it would be along way for me to move ! And I'm not sure I'm cut out to make the tea room look tidy and I'm not sure that should be the Head Propagators job any way !
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

emma T

Re: Emma and her new job
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 10:57:20 AM »
Would also mean a massive pay cut for me 
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
Cambo have a wide range of activities  on the estate , including the use of "volunteers"  see here : http://www.camboestate.com/volunteers/

Speaking personally I cannot see how I would be happy to have total strangers coming in randomly and having to be supervised . Would not be my idea of fun.   
(I agree that Head Propagator and Tea room Cleaner does not seem ideal combo for employment description!)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 11:57:34 AM »
That's a lot responsibility/skills for not much money, sadly often the case  ::)

why the ad says from £8.20 hour is a little puzzling, having run a small nursery here when I first took on the job I would be wanting considerably more particularly when care of plants outside of working hours, and the restrictions that places on you, is rarely taken into account.

emma T

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 02:47:23 PM »

That's a lot responsibility/skills for not much money, sadly often the case  ::)

why the ad says from £8.20 hour is a little puzzling, having run a small nursery here when I first took on the job I would be wanting considerably more particularly when care of plants outside of working hours, and the restrictions that places on you, is rarely taken into account.

Yep very little money for the amount of work they seem to be expecting . Hey ho

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 10:42:23 PM »
Emma, with the disadvantages already mentioned, as well as the pay cut, why are you even thinking about it? I think (from a long way off, of course,) that you already have a very nice niche carved out for yourself and your future, especially with the recent success of your new snowdrop event. So many people must now be thinking of you as a major player in the snowdrop world and surely there will be greater opportunities to come your way if you want a change from your present position. I think I'd be staying put for now at least.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

RichardW

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 05:51:56 AM »
It's a shame (if not crminal) that horticulture as a career is paid so poorly, that job advert being a great example where they want experience & wide range of skills & all that for a few pounds over minimum wage, all too common.

There was a hilarious ad on there last year with pages & pages of job description requiring intimate knowledge of everything from plant prop, site security, maintenance to IT and yet you could walk into a supermarket and earn as much putting things on shelves, not to demean shelf stackers  ;) but it often looks like some horticulture jobs seem to be a crafty way of employing one poorly paid person the to do the work of many.

emma T

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 08:15:29 AM »
I'm looking just because I keep being told by my land agent to look , it makes me feel like she's not telling the truth about people buying the site and keeping us on , also they are painting the inside of my house magnolia .....the least inspiring colour known to man or woman .

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »
Don't bother Emma, you've got loads to offer and for a lot more money than Cambo are offering. Stay put for the moment, something good will turn up I can feel it in my bones.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 08:36:05 PM »
Not that we wouldn't love to have you in Scotland, Emma and Cambo is a lovely place - but you can do much better than this.

emma T

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 11:10:58 AM »
With how I'm feeling today if this was offered I'd just take it ....my house isn't a home anymore ,not for me . Just going to box everything up and just leave out what I use . Just easier that way

RichardW

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 12:13:05 PM »
Decorating around you while you still live there?

Disgraceful way to treat someone >:( hope you find something soon.

emma T

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 12:22:37 PM »
Every room magnolia , no choice in the matter

emma T

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 12:23:02 PM »
I feel like I'm going mad

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 12:58:23 PM »
Dear Emma, I promise you, there can be a happy home after magnolia ......

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal