We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Saxifraga 2014  (Read 25802 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Re: Saxifraga 2014
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »
This is my S. Claude Monet.  Got it direct from Karel Lang last yr.  flowers don't seem to open wide.  Not sure I like it much.  A candidate for a trough I'm afraid...
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »
Saxifraqga Jenkinsae.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2014, 04:28:54 PM »
What a lovely potfull Michael.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ChrisB

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2014, 04:32:36 PM »
A sight for sore eyes Michael
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2014, 09:29:45 PM »
Going back a couple of pages, Chris, is S. oppositifolia a lime lover? For some reason and inspite of the little encrusted dots on the foliage, it always looks to me NOT to be lime loving and so I've played safe and refrained from letting it have any, going for a peaty compost instead. I have lost every one I've had!. I have another now, of 'Ruth Draper' doing well in a trough, still without lime, but much grittier. Should I give it some lime?  Love the 'Tromso.' It's doing nicely here too. ;D

As well as Michael, I happen to know that those moderators have a nice selection of Lang saxes. Perhaps they'll be blooming now or soon?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2014, 09:39:46 PM »
Indeed, the BD and I do have a very nice collection of Lang saxes - direct from the man himself in the Czech Rebublic, thanks to a  kind gift.  8)   Ian is photographing them as they come into flower - I expect they will appear in the Bulb Log in due course.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisB

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2014, 06:50:54 AM »
I'm no expert Lesley but I gave up on S oppositifolia in the garden after I'd killed several good ones and decided to keep any more I acquired in troughs where I could offer them more lime.   Those ones so far have survived.  Funnily, that was the first I ever had and I had no idea at the time that it could be difficult to grow.  I once got a lovely clear white form but having put it in the garden it withered away.  I was upset about losing it but learned my lesson....

Maggi - mine are all coming out nicely now too.  Some of them were tossed about in my box when they got here so I had to keep them separate with upside down labels until they flower so I can I'd them but now there's just one more to go.... I lost just one of them... Not bad.  Tromso may be headed for the show bench next year if it continues to flourish like it is doing now...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:54:36 AM by ChrisB »
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »
Did you mean Cliff's link to this video (and others just as good) ?

Only just found time to watch this. A lovely and inspirational film - inspiring foreign plant hunting travels and a desire for a similar spotlight on the Scottish mountain flora.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2014, 08:03:16 PM »
Some Saxifraga from the garden today:-

Saxifraga oppositifolia 'Theoden' (going brown in the middle of the clump too-help?)
S. 'Allendale Bamby'
S. kellerii 'Suendermanii Major'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2014, 08:06:36 PM »
Saxifraga oppositifolia 'Theoden' (going brown in the middle of the clump too-help?)

A problem that we were speaking about  re Sax. oppositifolia and its forms, with Stan da Prato in the garden yesterday, David. He didn't have an answer either.......
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2014, 08:13:44 PM »
 ??? :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Roma

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2014, 10:20:47 PM »
Saxifraga 'Quarry Wood'
Saxifraga cinerea
An unnamed Sax from Lismore.  This is the best I have seen it flower.  It usually starts off brick red then fades quickly to a biscuit colour but this year the flowers are staying a nice peachy colour for longer.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2014, 05:08:03 PM »
Nice ones Roma.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ChrisB

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2014, 05:25:18 PM »
A problem that we were speaking about  re Sax. oppositifolia and its forms, with Stan da Prato in the garden yesterday, David. He didn't have an answer either.......
Been reading the AGS bulletin article about its requirements.  By pure accident my one in the Belfast sink is kept in the shade from my birch tree all summer when it might get scorched...
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2014, 06:27:42 PM »
Whenever I've seen Sax.opp. in the wild it's always tucked away in shady crevices, north facing rocks and the like, anywhere it doesn't get too much direct sun.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal